Okra question

• 2 Replies

Muffin58

Okra question
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:42 »
I know there are a few folks on the forum who have had a go with okra, and I love this veg, so I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. I tried okra last year (I'm an American southern gal) and it was a disaster. The whitefly destroyed it, along with the weather. I noticed something last year that I'm seeing again this year, and I'm wondering if it's normal, or if anyone else has seen if, and if so, what is it? There are tiny clear beads that coat the back of many of the leaves and some of the stems. They rub off, but are hard to squish. Is this the egg of some pest? Or is it something that belongs on the okra? I can't imagine that it would belong on the okra if it's easily wiped away. I've tried photographing them, but they're hard to see on photos. Has anyone else seen these little bead-like things? What are they? Should I wipe them off?

Thank you for any help you can give me! I hate paying the outrageous price for okra in the shops!

Muffin

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Okra question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:00 »
I've grown Okra until the weather got it and have not seen these. They do sound like an egg sac or similar, but see what others think too. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

prakash_mib

Re: Okra question
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07 »
okra is the most challenging one to grow even in tropical weather (unless you get everything right).
I did tried them last year and it became the feeding ground for aphids. They love it and due to that I had no aphids on other plants.  :)
so I let them grow as sacrificial plants and squished all the aphids everyday. finally they did succumbed to mass attack and died without putting up a fight. (typical of okra).
I am "NOT" gonna grow them this year.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

xx
Okra question

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 21:48
by gobs
xx
Okra

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 21:20
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
okra

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 14:33
by muntjac
xx
Okra

Started by MrsMak on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 09:21
by olyfrankel

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 36 queries.