HELP!!! MAKING CHICKENS LIKE EACH OTHER

• 7 Replies

kazza

« on: August 24, 2007, 16:14 »
:shock:

Hi Everyone, my names Karen and I need some advice. I have had two warrens from 17 weeks since March '07. They do everything together and have been great layers. As I have been on hols the last week I decided to have my house and run extended to get some more hens. On Weds I went to a lady local to me and purchased Two Brahmas about 3 months and a Maran about 4 months. I put my warrens in the house and let the new hens in the run. all hell broke loose!!! the warrens keep pecking the others who sit patheically in a corner together. The first nite I put them in a box separate from the warrens but in the same house but not much better yesterday? They managed to sleep together quietly all in the same house last night but still get picked on, I am concerned they are getting enough to eat as they spend most of the time in the house.

Sorry for such a long message but any tips anyone would have would be a blessing.
How long does this usually go on for?
Cheers.
Karen

psipower

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 16:48 »
Hi Karen. It will just take a bit of time (1-2 weeks) for the chickens to get used to each other. The normal way of doing introductions, which always works well for me, is to keep the chickens physically separated but in full view of each other (e.g. use a bit of chicken wire!).

Having an extra feeder a little distance away can help everyone get food (and WATER). I get them to eat 'together' at afternoon treat time by casting corn over a wider area - the main group are normally too interested in scoffing as quickly as possible, while the newbies hang around the edge nervously picking the odd grain ready to run!

So don't worry, it just needs a little time! :) But do try to put a temporary physical barrier between the two groups.

kazza

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 16:57 »
Many thanks for you help on that! I have only kept chickens since March and love them so thought a few more may br good. I just don't like to see them get pecked! :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 17:35 »
Hi Karen Welcome to the forum,

I sounds as if you have a wonderful set up for your hens (I'm green with envy).  psipower is abvsolutly right and in my experience it will take about 3 weeks for things to settle down.  

One word of warning.  Ask a question and you'll get at leas4 replies and 6 different opinions  :roll:   So here's mine.

Divide the run into two as psipower said, half for the olds half for the news, feed and water in both sides obviously  :roll:   I would advise having separate sleeping accomodation to start with.  In the afternoons throw some treats (corn or the like) into the run so that it is on both sides of (but near) the dividing wire.  This way they can eat together but without the risk of bullying.  If they ever freerange around the garden, let them do it at the same time and there will be plenty of space for the new girls to get away.  It is importaint for the old girls to be able to assert themselves as top chooks.  

When you think things are settling down, remove the run divider and keep an eye on them incase you have to put it back.  There may be a peck or two from the old girls to say "don't forget your place".  You will probably find that within a couple of days of this they will choose to share the same roost and the extra one can be removed.

Good luck, they will be the best of friend in time.  Let us know how you get on  :D

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 17:51 »
and  im keeping my gob shut  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 17:55 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
and  im keeping my gob shut  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No Munty... Go for it !!!

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 17:59 »
im agreeing with you girls ...its safer lolo :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 18:24 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
im agreeing with you girls ...its safer lolo :lol:

Ohhh... Munty...  I never had you down as chicken  :roll:  :lol:

xx
Making a living from Chickens?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 18:16
by Tony H
wireless
How to stop chickens pacing and making noise?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 21:56
by hillfooter
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 36 queries.