Urgent dog help

• 34 Replies

nickmcmechan

Re: Urgent dog help
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 08:09 »
Just picked this thread up.

What an awful situation which must be causing you a lot of stress. Although the opinions on the Parish Councillor may be valid, they honestly wont help solve this problem.

I pick up a lot of similar threads on the Dog Forums I am on, so please be assured this is not uncommon. A few bits of advice for you I hope will help

1. the ultrasonic gadget thingy is only a short term fix, you need a longer term solution to the behaviour

2. someone said get a decent behaviourist....Get a decent behaviourist. Check out APBC for one near you (don't go with any Ads, decent behaviourists work on referral). Go you your vet to check out any health issues first. If your Vet refers you to the behaviourist and you have good insurance, your insurance will cover the costs

3. the barking is a form of anxiety. Until the behaviourist comes along. Practice fake 'leavings of the house' Start by putting your jackets on or whatever you normally do to get ready to leave. When the dogs calm down reward them. Increase this to gradually to going out the door, reward when calm, leave house for longer, reward when calm and gradually build up over a number of weeks or months until the association in your dogs' minds is that staying calm when you leave is a really really good thing that will get them a reward. I imagine the behaviourist will advise something similat but will be much more helpful than a message on a forum.

4. I didn't pick up how long your dogs are left for. If more than 3 or 4 hours whilst you are at work can you get someone to take them for a short walk? Otherwise you really need to consider paying a dog walker. Or an you nip home a lunchtime?

5. Have you thought about getting involved in a dog sport to occupy your dogs minds? Check out Agility, Working Trials, Obedience....lots of stuff out there!

6. How long do you walk your Dogs before you leave for work? About the only one thing all dog trainers will agree on is exercise. I take mine out for just under an hour before getting ready for work. It means a very early start but I just love having the fields to myself on lovely summers mornings.

7. Good luck!

Deucecoup

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 12:46 »
The dogs have been left all their life so this is not a new thing. They only bark for 20 mins throughout the day apparently, around midday and at 4pm when my wife gets home.
We can barely afford to pay the mortgage let alone a behaviourist. The dogs will not let anyone else walk them so thats out of the question too. They weigh 10 and 11 stone so too big for most people.
We are training them to pull us on mountain boards so that will become their morning exercise hopefully.
Every house we have spoken to say the dogs are no problem and that the village kids make more  noise.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 18:14 »
The dogs have been left all their life so this is not a new thing.

...don't mean to be cheeky but that doesn't make it OK.....its up to you, the advice was good advice and free advice, take it or leave it, it was a gift........

Deucecoup

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 22:42 »
What, leaving my dogs??
Well excuse me for living my life. Its all fine for people like you, pay for this, spend this.........
Try living your life when you cant afford heating during winter. I have to work 14 hour days so my wife can work normal hours now.
You know what, im so fed up with pompous people you can keep you free advice.

THREAD CLOSED  >:(

Thanks to all others who replied and helped  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 23:41 »
Deucecoup,

I can understand that you are under pressure or stress as a result of this.

However, your last post was unacceptable in that it insulted other members.  This is completely contrary to site policies.

If you continue to abuse other members, none of whose posts have been unreasonable, then your membership of the site may have to be reviewed.  I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I am now locking this thread as you request.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 23:42 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Urgent rabbit help please

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 03:03
by Paul Plots
xx
Calling all ferret fanciers! Urgent!

Started by Starling on Pets without Feathers

29 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:38
by joyfull
xx
Urgent - Are birds classed as agriculture?

Started by gsc on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 13:31
by gsc

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 28 queries.