rotavator buy or hire?

• 9 Replies

grendel

rotavator buy or hire?
« on: April 09, 2011, 16:25 »
our allotment doesn't have a rotavator which is the best option to buy one or hire one?
I have found a hire place for £37 for the day - is that a good price?
I have a half plot and it is hard going hand digging through the weeds, I know I will need to deweed it and get the roots out but I do need to loosen things up to get it well dug.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: rotavator buy or hire?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 17:36 »
buy one and take advice on which one it wil stand you in good stead

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 19:43 »
£37.00/day isn't a bad hire price. Look at it this way.. I know its useful to have tools and machines hanging round "just in case", but how often are you going to use it? Once a year? Only once? Once every 3 or 5 years?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 21:03 »
If you buy one it is there to use whenever you want it but you will have to keep it maintained.  Better to go for a quality one such as Honda or  Merry Tiller and get one with reversse if possible. Bargains can be had but Spring and Autumn are usually the dearest time tobuy.  May pay you to try a day's hire first and see how you get on with it.  If you use that to break up the heavy stuff you may find you can manage with a mini tiller such as a Mantis or Honda,they are very effective on anything but compacted soil and easy to move around.I believe Mantis let you use one for 12 months and then return it for
a refund if you choose to!
John

grendel

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 21:52 »
well the plan was to use it once to break up the soil, with the intention of digging in future. but it does depend how well it digs the plot over. one secondary plan was to get one from ebay and use it then maybe resell it on ebay, as I dont really have space to store one. maybe a trial hire to see how it goes.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 23:37 »
well I hired it today, and what a boon, it took quite a while but now both half plots have been done, just got to rake the rubbish and weeds up tomorrow and the plots will be ready for planting. I now know that when I get a chance for a second hand one locally for the right price then I will be getting one.
Grendel

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 07:25 »
I have been looking for a second hand one and they all make good money, at £37 a year it will take a while to make it cost effective to buy one.  I am still looking tho just using my Ryobi tiller still at the moment.
Thanks
Kris

Lotti Digger

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 15:29 »
I bought a second hand Flymo cultivator with a 5hp Briggs & statton engine for £150-Best £150 I ever spent.

Lotti Digger

Itwillgrow

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 21:23 »
We bought one of those 700w electric ones, was well pleased with it, but overdone it and stripped the helical gearing cog to the motor ended up giving to scrap. couldnt get anywhere to get spare parts emailed the original supplier and got no reply, It served well for two yrs though.
We have a Petrol one (ebay) but that is playing up at moment and I have just spent a day tinkering - drilled out old cotter pins to be able to get blades off, hrs later and several broken drill bits and a bit of welding.
Then the engine started at moment lacking power to put into ground. so the hire for £37 looks the more appertising at present,
Plus point, you use then return it when finished and dont have to worry about theft of when stored. and space is also problem. although the litte electric didnt take much.
But the back breaking dig Vs Rotavator workout.
I know what I think is best (BOYS TOYS)

grendel

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 21:28 »
I have decided that if I can get one for a similar amount on ebay then I will , if not then I will hire as and when I need to.
Grendel

xx
rotavator hire help

Started by horseshoe1 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 11:08
by ex-cavator
xx
Rotavator Hire

Started by South Downs Wayer on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 22:27
by Teabag
xx
Cheap Little Rotovator hire in Surrey?

Started by jessegee on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 09:51
by Gwiz
xx
Need for a rotavator

Started by rufty on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 11:09
by Vit

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 36 queries.