Coop size?

• 13 Replies

foxi loxi

Coop size?
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:32 »
Hey guys
I've been considering getting some hens now i've got an allotment and was wondering how much coop space per hen i need?
The ready made coops i've been looking at look really small for the amount they state can go in there.
Many thanks
jenni

foxi loxi

Re: Coop size?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 16:40 »
Found the information on the poultry pages!  ::)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 18:14 »
Hi Foxy, sorry no one was around to answer your question!

Everyone like us out in the garden I suppose!

I've been helping OH dig out our manure heap!  Lovely day to do it!!! lol

You are right about what people say you can get in a coop!  They say 8, but it looks overcrowded if you put 4 in there!

It really is a shame because lots of new owners don't know what's right, they buy these coops, then have to enlarge or buy another one when they realise they really aren't big enough!

runs are the same.  I was looking at a commercially built run earlier which was attached to a coop.  Coop supposedly big enough for 8 hens, but I don't think the run looked big enough for 2!!   :(

foxi loxi

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 22:14 »
Thankyou for the reply GrannieAnnie

I'm looking to start off with six hens with plans to get more. I have been offered a coop that is six square feet, will that be ok untill i build a bigger one? I know the minimum requirement is one square foot per hen so it seems ok and it will only be temporary as i'd like to give them as much space as i can!
I also wanted to ask if you have any tips for when i build it? Things that will make life easier maybe, i'm already planning a hinged roof to make cleaning easier.

jenni

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02 »
Hi Foxi
Mine is 4'x3' and I have 5 hens.  They are only really in it at night so as long as they have enough perch space and nest boxes they should be fine.  They do need a good run space though.  I have a very large enclosed run as my hens don't free range really.  They do get let out once in a while.  Good luck with your new hens.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

foxi loxi

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 19:11 »
Thanks carol
I'm looking at starting off with around a 10' x 26' run area, if it doesn't look big enough i can always expand!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 20:41 »
At least you are on the right track Foxy, we like to encourage people to give their chickens as much room as possible.  To look at some of these coops that are sold, you think a battery hen may have more room! lol

One thing I would say when building your own coop, is to think about the amount of nooks and crannies you've got.  The scourge of chook keepers is red mite!  They are tiny little things, but wreak havoc amongst your girls.  They suck their blood and can make them anaemic, can stop them laying because of this and can eventually kill them!

So, think about the design!  nest boxes and perches that can be taken out and cleaned down easily.  keep the interior lines simple and easy to clean out.  Decent quality wood, nothing with too loose a grain.etc etc

adamgodfrey

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36 »
Having built my own wooden house and then suffering from red mite, I wholeheartedly recommend also looking at plastic houses.  

After weeks of battling, trying to wipe out my red mite infestation, I bought a plastic green frog house and have been delighted with it.  I haven't had a sign of any red mite since.

They do cost a little more to start with, but if you consider your time, the cost of chemicals if you get red mite, plus the fact that the plastic houses are maintenance free and will last for 20+ years then they are actually great value.

As others have said, the most important thing really when considering a house is the amount of perch space, I'd say around 9-12 inches a bird, and approximately one nestbox per 3 hens.
Adam
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:46 by joyfull »

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46 »
Hi Foxi,
Houses (or coops) are purely for chx to roost in and so need to provide a dry safe place for them.  They don't actually live in the house during the day but spend their time foraging in their run so that's why the house can be small.  It's best to have one with ample perch space and a slatted floor keeps them away from picking in their droppings.  Before you buy a house look at some of the threads on house design on this site as ebay houses might look good but aren't always well designed for easy maintenance or the birds needs so DON'T rush out and buy the first cheap house you see there are very few really good designs out there and that includes plastic too.  

For 6 chx two nestboxes are more than ample (4 birds perbox is fine).

If you can find a thread by Diggit on a DIY house he is making that's excellent as it discusses many of the practical issues of house design and what to look out for.
HF
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 19:39 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 12:48 »

foxi loxi

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 19:05 »
Thankyou very much for all your replies, i am thinking very carefully about this and not wading in without doing my research!
I am just about to have a look at that thread hillfooter, thankyou.
jenni

foxi loxi

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 14:37 »
After reading as much information as possible i've deciced to build the coop with the frame on the outside as suggested in one of the threads. I just wanted to ask another question, would it help to insulate the coop over winter? I though if we where to make the coop out of marine ply ( i think thats what it is called) and then use some thing like ship lap on the outside to make it more pleasing to the eye it would have a 2-3 inch gap between and we could pack that gap in the winter for insulation purposes, is this a bad idea?
Many thanks
jenni

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 14:42 »
yes a bad idea as it would give the dreaded redmite lots of hiding places  :(. also remember chickens come with their own feather duvets  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

foxi loxi

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 14:46 »
Thanks joyfull i will do away with the aesthetics all together just me worrying about my hens before i've even gotten them!  :D

xx
coop size

Started by sion01 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 18:05
by sion01
xx
run/coop size

Started by kingbilly on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:06
by joyfull
xx
Coop size

Started by angieplummer on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 23:31
by angieplummer
xx
Size of Coop for Bantams

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2015, 20:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.