New chicks 6 weeks old one sick HELP

• 11 Replies

newchick2this

• Born in Scotland have Chickens,Dog,Horses,Cats
New chicks 6 weeks old one sick HELP
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:40 »
 :(I am very new to this and need help I came home tonight to find a chick not her self I just got them in March they are 6 weeks old. She was letting everyone climb all over her when I picked her up she doesn't try to get away kinda listless doesn't stand I put her in her own box with vitamin water and grain. As I did I not noticed a grape size lump on her wing at the top it is like an open sore could this be the cause also the others are showing signs of watery brown stools but could that be that I still have them under aheat lamp while ther coop is being built they are in an area that has 73 degree temp to. they don't pant I was told that was a sign of being to hot most are roosting as I have put a stick in there trough which is currently there house. These are my first baby chicks please help, I'm very worried about the one with the tumor.

muntjac

Re: New chicks 6 weeks old one sick HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53 »
Firstly what breed are they This lump could be a number of things from a burst blood vessel to a broken bone, whichever it is i think that the chick is a lost hope, you will probably be better off culling it now before the rest of the chicks start to peck at it  regarding the stools what are you feeding the chicks they should  be on a mix of chick crumb and corn at 6 weeks,making sure they have grit and oyster shell with plenty of fresh water. you dont say if they are in the house or not  but unless it is cold you should only have the heat lamp on over night now you need to wean them off heat before you put them outside, a sign of them being to cold is crowding together,
still alive /............

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:57 »
I would have thought they should be off heat during the day at six weeks old - however as I always use broody hens I will let somebody who uses heat lamps to tell you if this is right or not.
As for te sore is it red? if so disguise it with purple spray otherwise the others will peck at it. Stop the grain and keep them on chick crumb only for a while longer before putting them on growers/rearers pellets.  
Staffies are softer than you think.

newchick2this

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 19:57 »
thank you for responding I am in the States so our food might not be as good. I was born in the UK though. OK well the chicken with the sore it is on the upper part of her wing looks like a grape swollen skin to the back and small feathers with an open hole in front got her to eat grain over night put her in her own box and used water with rescue chick in it it is an electrolyte powder. Went back to tractor supply this morning and was told the grain they had given me was not medicated they are now on medicated chicken starter. They were supposed to be vacinated at the place I bought them not sure if that happened. The one with the sore is struggling today again she is on her side everytime I leave her alone got some blue wound spray they recommended not sure if it will work. Could this be a staff infection tried to read up on it all night so many diseases. Not sure what fits. Not sure what else to do for her ?

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 20:07 »
any blue wound spray will do- it is antiseptic but the blue colouring stops other hens pecking the red wound.  Can you take her to a vet or are you too remote?  Its a good sign that she is eating and drinking but if she has an infection she may need antibiotics
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

newchick2this

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:14 »
Vets have been closed since Friday will call in morning she is still eating and drinking and her poop has hardened somewhat not as loose had to put her back under the heat lamp she is in a rubbermaid box and with shavings and was cold she is doing better with the heat lamp is allert except for her legs she can't bring them under her to stand so she is laying on one side when I just left her I had scratched behind her ear and she started  to preen her feathers. Not sure whats going on with the legs though. Hope to take her to the vet in morn, will let you know how she does. Also thought the rest of the flock the other 15 she is one of 6 bard rocks then there are 5 polish and 5 americana's  were doing better but saw one with a runny stool tonight they have been switched to medicated food and tractor supply thought that would help. Other than that they all look good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:50 by newchick2this »

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16 »
I have seen pictures on here of chicks with splints, I think the condition is called splayed leg, if you look it up it may help

newchick2this

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 20:50 »
 :(Will look that up Took her to a vet today had to drive an hour away in rhode Island only one close who specializes in birds. Not sure though she said she might have Mareks disease but had to look up her symptoms online and that I should sacrafic her and take her to uconn campus and they will do a necropsie on her as Mareks is contagious. told her I wanted to try an antibiotic first so she gave me one started her on it today at 3pm she needs it 3 times a day she thinks the lump is a cyst or growth. Thats what took her to the site for Mareks I'm going to look it up now. $95.00 for that diagnosis hope she's wrong. Any suggestions.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 21:25 »
how worrying for you, I hope the antibiotics work, the chick is lucky to have you

newchick2this

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Sorry haven't been keeping up but this is now day 8 and she is still hanging in there starting to stand on both feet though still abit wobbly. the antibiotics seem to help the diagnosis for Mareks disease had to be wrong I looked up my slip of purchase and I had them vaccinated for Mareks disease but there was an extra bard rock thrown in so it might be her she still has the cyst or tumor on her wing not changing much but she is very perky and tries to fight me putting in the antibiotic it is a liquid and she hates to open her beak. I feel so bad for her she must hate people by now. Took her off the heat lamp but found she is better on it I know sick parrots need a heat lamp so I'm assuming its ok. The other 15 are all doing fine no signs of illness. Wiil keep everyone informed as to how she does.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 18:46 »
I'm sure she wont hate you.  My cousin got a cat that needed so many eye drops and was so ill, but he got better and used to climb up him when he came home to say hi  :lol: :lol: she will love you for helping her.  Good luck!!  :D :D
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 19:21 »
Hello Newchicktothis,

I am so glad that your little chick is making progress  :)

I agree with Daisy1990 here.  I don't think she will hate you.  She could be going through the chick version of the terrible twos  :D

Thanks for keeping us updated.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
sick orpington 36 weeks old

Started by funny farm on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 20:18
by Vember
xx
Sick Chicks

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 15:39
by ANHBUC
xx
Update on my Sick Chicks

Started by betty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2007, 22:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick Chickens passing on problems to unborn chicks

Started by bappleby3000 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 13:54
by Casey76

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 37 queries.