Millipede damage?

• 2 Replies

Doddy

• Always learning
Millipede damage?
« on: April 08, 2011, 17:40 »
Just been down the allotment and found the Courgettes that I planted a few weeks ago, currently under a plastic-cloche affair, suffering from being nibbled somewhat. See picture, below.

Underneath the plantpots were around 20 millipedes, which I've since introduced to the sole-of-destruction.

Question - does the damage look millipede-related?, there's clearly something nibbling around the periphery of the leaves, but then there's the dirty great white "splodge" in the middle of one leaf with a sizeable hole in it.

Opinions?, are the Millipedes an innocent casualty?, am I looking at more than one problem here?
millipedes - Copy.jpg

Salmo

Re: Millipede damage?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 18:04 »
The damage in the middle of the leaf is typical slug or snail with their rasping teeth.
Millipedes will nibble the roots and underground stem leaving small brown marks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Millipede damage?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 18:05 »
Going out on a bit of a limb here but I think millipedes tend to do more damage to underground roots and sometimes young seedlings, but are not a serious pest in the great scheme of things.

I think it is more likely your courgettes have been nibbled by slugs or snails (the "scraped" area on the leaf certainly looks like typical slug/snail damage to me.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Sun damage.

Started by Hobovore on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2019, 10:44
by Goosegirl
xx
will it damage anything?

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 19:32
by allstars_princess
xx
More Damage!!

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 13:43
by Beetroot queen
xx
Fox damage…help!!

Started by Marijke Jones on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2023, 13:22
by Marijke Jones

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 37 queries.