HELP!!

• 9 Replies

jacko

HELP!!
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:24 »
Our Bella, (who is a light sussex bantam and is approx 5 or 6 years old not too sure of the age when we got her) - was very well and robust over the winter but then got a problem with runny green poo - gave her antibiotics and she picked up a bit but was not scrathcing around vigourously - has never really got rid of the runny poo and become very slow - now for last two/three days has more or less stopped eating and drinking or when she eats seem sto just pick at food and it gets stuck on her beak - is quite thin compared to what she was as was quite greedy and plump before - she is the boss hen of three bantams - I fear that she is just an old girl and there is not much we can do - what are anyones thoughts on this?
Kathy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:45 »
Kathy sorry to hear about Bella.  I am new to all this but hope that someone can give you some help really soon. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:09 »
She is a good age and it sounds to me like that because she didn't totally get over the runny poo stage she has gradually got very run down and if she stops eating & drinking it will only get worse.

If it was me I would take her to the vets but in the meantime it worth trying to syringe some liquid into her orally - perhaps some water with a little glucose dissolved into it?

Hope she gets better
Helen

jacko

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20 »
Thanks for replies - we are trying to get water down her with a syringe for now - but its very hot today - so not sure how it will go
Kathy

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 21:28 »
Any news on Bella Kathy?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 21:35 »
when was she last wormed?
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 21:39 »
Just wishing you good luck with Bella, Kathy  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jacko

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 14:15 »
HI well, not been wormed and never seen any sign of worm or red mite - all our chooks are cleaned out every day and been very healthy (we only have 3 bantams, Gladys who is a black japanese and Omelette not sure what she is but she is brown speckled) - they free range and have plenty of variety of food. Today I was not expecting Bella to have made it but she was still with us - did not come out the nest box so we got her out gave her some antibiotic and fed her some boiled rice and some little bits of cat food - had to put it in her mouth so she could eat it - she wants to eat and keeps pecking but can't get food in her mouth to swallow, she stands by the food and makes a pitiful 'bwark' as if she is hungry - its really upsetting and I think if she does not pick up by tomo will have to take her to vets as I can't watch her starve to death. She also can't walk far and nearly topples over and is now very thin and still have watery green poo. It just does not look good - but she is a good age so maybe she is just too old to get better. Its very sad she is such a character and a very hansome bird. - Omlette keeps fretting too! so perhaps she knows Gladys was poorly after the bad waether with that chicken respiritory diesease can't remeber the name of it Mycro something - but after 2 weeks and antibiotics she got better.
So will have to see how it goes
Kathy

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 20:45 »
Think they can get worms from pigeon poo, so if they free range you would need to worm them.  Good luck, i hope she recovers.

carolbriar

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 20:50 »
I would get some flubenvet and worm her - at least it will eliminate that as being the problem.  You could put a little bit on a small piece of grape or something that you can give her fairly easily.  I hope she gets better soon - she is a good age. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 29 queries.