slug pellet awareness

• 24 Replies

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
Re: slug pellet awareness
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 12:53 »
This 'stuff' is already naturally in the soil anyway, and on that basis will make no difference to your veg  :)

If it's naturally in the soil anyway why do slugs get in it and survive? I'm very curious.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 13:00 »
presumably it's only present in small amounts.
In slug bait it would eat it in high quantity. As already stated the elements in the bait are
only Iron, Phosphorus and Oxygen

Mark-S

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 13:59 »
I have ben involved in pelletwise for a couple of years now - the amateur user need not worry themselves overly as a major contibutor mainly because the active ingredient (metaldehyde)  is at much lower rates than agricultural formulations.

HOWEVER if the farming industry does NOT heed the warnings then there is no doubt that metaldehyde will disappear.

Methiocarb is not currently under threat.

http://www.getpelletwise.co.uk/
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 14:15 »
I have ben involved in pelletwise for a couple of years now - the amateur user need not worry themselves overly as a major contibutor mainly because the active ingredient (metaldehyde)  is at much lower rates than agricultural formulations.

HOWEVER if the farming industry does NOT heed the warnings then there is no doubt that metaldehyde will disappear.

Methiocarb is not currently under threat.

http://www.getpelletwise.co.uk/

I take it the farming industry is not currrently contemplating moving to ferric phosphate based slug treatments then?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mark-S

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 14:28 »
its still an option, but met is likely to be the product ofchoice...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 18:53 »
That must surely be on cost, because from my experience the ferric phosphate stuff is 100% effective on slug control.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 21:38 »
I hate slug pellets.I used to work in a vets and we'd regularly get animals in suffering from metaldehyde poisoning,they usually died : ( .They love the taste of them.I use organic pellets now and they work well,if they didn't,I'd be out with the beer traps too.

freckledbeck

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 22:37 »
Ive been using the growing success pellets too, and find them great, but on studying the bumpf on the back I noticed it says only put a maximum of 4 applications per crop. Do you think they are harmful if you use more than that?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:51 »
Ive been using the growing success pellets too, and find them great, but on studying the bumpf on the back I noticed it says only put a maximum of 4 applications per crop. Do you think they are harmful if you use more than that?

Given the nature and properties of the active ingredient I would doubt that overdosing would do any lasting harm but it's always a good idea to follow the manufacturer's instructions even if they are a bit conservative.

(I would have thought that 4 applications per crop was more than enough in any case; most plants are only really vulnerable when at the seedling stage although there are obvious exceptions like lettuce and other very soft-stemmed or soft-leaved crops.)

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00 »
I think my mind is made up now and I'm sticking to companion planting. The way I see it is I'd rather have no harmful stuff out there than have 1% out there. If manufacturers are saying only put x amount down then it just sounds like the whole RoundUp Monsanto dealio.

xx
Slug Pellet Placement

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 11:44
by prakash_mib
xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Wood pellet cat litter

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2018, 22:06
by Yorkie
xx
chicken pellet ferteliser things

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 11:33
by chili

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 30 queries.