Guinea fowl and chickens

• 3 Replies

pigeonpie

Guinea fowl and chickens
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:06 »
Hi,
For a while now I've been thinking about getting some guinea fowl.  I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of keeping them with chickens and how this works?
We have about an acre of garden for them to free range around with the girls so plenty of room for them all to keep out of each others way if needed.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 19:09 by Ice »

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Re: Guniea fowl and chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 18:45 »
Hi there

We keep 2 guinea fowl with our chickens and they get along just fine  :D So much so, that I think the guinea fowl think they are chickens  :ohmy:

Guinea fowl do like to roost in trees and can be a wotsit to catch  >:( but if they can roost high enough in trees, predators should be too much of a problem.  That said, ours always follow the chickens into the coop of a night  ::)

One word of warning - they are very noisy  :ohmy:

Melody
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Guniea fowl and chickens
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 18:51 »
Mine never go in a coop they sleep high up in the cherry trees. They have their favourite chickens and when it comes to the afternoon corn being scattered they will sometimes get a bit aggressive to the out of favour hens. They do though like to make sure all the chickens have gone to bed before they do and are often seen rounding up the stragglers to speed them up  :).
Staffies are softer than you think.

pigeonpie

Re: Guinea fowl and chickens
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 19:29 »
Brilliant, thanks.  They will have the roam of the old orchard so plenty of trees to chose from should they wish to sleep out doors. 
And, yes I know they are noisy.  They were my alarm call when I was in Namibia and they slept in the trees outside my lodge!  They also taste really good, hence the reason for having a few!  (But please don't tell them that, and they might just end up as pets but it's a good excuse to get a few!)

xx
Chickens and Guinea Fowl

Started by akwebb on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 17:55
by Honeysuckle
xx
Old Guinea Fowl

Started by Fen on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 20:54
by Vember
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by Jessie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 10:18
by joyfull
xx
Guinea Fowl

Started by Nails on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2009, 20:33
by Vember

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.