odd eggs from one chook

• 7 Replies

sheridan

odd eggs from one chook
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:05 »
At least, i'm assuming it's the one chook! I have three hybrids, they've laid all winter and usually all three eggs are brown, with one speckled. But for the past 10 days, one egg has been coming out white, with chalky looking ends. The hen laying this skips days every now and then, and on two occaisions has then produced BIG double yolkers. This morning, there was a white very thin shelled egg that was perfectly round (normal inside though). They have oyster shell to pick at all day and are fed Organic layers pellets, and free range every afternoon, so I don't think they are missing anything diet wise. The onyl thing I can think of that may be disrupting her laying is that I think these eggs come from the smallest hen, the one who is always last to lay in the pecking order, she often gets to lay in the coop rather than the box if they other tow are occupying it. Any ideas? They all seem perfectly well otherwise, healthy colour and crops etc. They haven't had a moult yet though, they were POL in September.

mummychick

Re: odd eggs from one chook
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 21:17 »
I also have a chook who is now laying white eggs and she always laid brown eggs.  Her eggs are very chalky looking too.  She was unwell for a couple of weeks and she was laying soft eggs.  Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I thought I'd let you know that you are not alone!!!!  :)

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 21:43 »
Hi Sheridan, do you give them grit has well has oyster shell and do you give them any veg, when was the last time you wormed them? Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

sheridan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 13:30 »
Thanks for the replies. I wormed them in November, they are due again now. They get pellets at will from a feeder, and they free range in the garden all afternoon, and there is always a big bowl of grit, sand and oyster shell for them, their run is on mud and pebbles too, with whatever weeds grow. They also get scraps and handfuls of dandelion leaves and so on the we pick on the way back from playgroup.
This morning the shell was fine, but still chalky looking at the end. I wonder if ti's something to do with the season change and egg rpoduction? I understand eggs get "layered" as they pass through?

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 21:47 »
the diet seem fine, one off mine would lay a soft egg the day after it had rained ???

sheridan

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:47 »
Arrgh! I am SO confused now! The weird egg layer seems to have established a pattern: a normal egg, a very thick shelled egg with white tips, then a stupidly thin shelled one that breaks when you pick it up. I have been trying to see if the probable culprit is eating grit/shell, they all seem to as it's all gone every feed. None seem ill?

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:56 »
I know this wont be of any use but maybe its just the way shes made?  She might just work that way with her laying and as you have said none appear ill and all are eating a good diet.

sheridan

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:28 »
Another paper thin broken egg this morning! I wonder if she's just not eating the shell enough. Is there anything I can put in the water? I know they do all drink!

xx
Broody chook, currently sat on eggs!

Started by becky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2006, 19:54
by becky
xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Ill Chook

Started by little brown hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post December 15, 2011, 16:00
by ANHBUC
xx
Chook run

Started by denbo73 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2007, 17:23
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.626 seconds with 36 queries.