a modest patch

• 21 Replies

chrissie B

a modest patch
« on: April 06, 2011, 23:28 »
well today we thought we would start to dig over a patch for some veg  just a small area , previous owners had a trampoline and there was no grass unser where it had been so we started there but baout a foot down is a layer of bricks it looks like the reminents of an old shed or a coal bunker got a load of bricks but i think its going to need a lot of work , the soil looks good though kevs away for the day so i will give it my best effort , compared with the greek garden this is a walk in the park lol
chrissie b :D :D :D
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Paul Plots

Re: a modest patch
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 23:43 »
Sounds good. If you get enough bricks perhaps you could use them for edging or a small hardstanding / sitting area?

Have fun  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04 »
i thought about an edging if i get enough some are not in too good condition , i tell you what i put some chillie seeds in and they are growing like anything much faster than the ones i had in greece ,you would think they would grow faster there wouldnt you ive had them in the utility room which just has the washer fridge ect and its quite warm in there so looks like a good place to sew my seeds .
chrissie b

dig4victory

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34 »
Good luck with your little patch  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:23 »

Chrissie, whatever you dig up, don't throw it away.  It may come in useful.  Now I have a plea ! As you have been there, done that, know what I mean nudge nudge !

Could you look at the message "Strange Greek bean seeds and seedlings" and see if you can recognise them.  I bought (actually I wanted so few I was given them')  while in an agricultural shop on Lesbos.  The places that look like a mixture of farmers shop and hardware store.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:51 »
Tony, you already had a reply from someone who has lived and grown stuff, in Greece 8) me  ;)

but, of course, chrissie may have a different opinion ................................................

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 15:41 »
no i agree but i havent grown them myself you can get them on the markets for cooking they look the same , the seedlings look very healthy .hope you get enough sun for them .
chrissie b

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 15:45 »
today i have 26 half bricks and assorted rusty screws i think it may be the bottom of an old wall or the base of an old shed there is a few small lumps of coal and we are on pit land its been closed 50 years i think i will have enough for an edge and an extension on the shed lol
chrissie b

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 22:33 »
Take care there's not a great big hole underneath there somewhere!  :ohmy:

A mate of mine was digging foundations for an extension to his bungalow when he discovered a 15' circular concrete "cover" below which was a 10 or more foot deep chasm. The huge hole had been put in by the builders of the estate as a drainage sump.

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 23:16 »
the thought had crossed my mind after seeing on the news the story of the dog falling down the well , all thats under there is a heavy type soil and it runs in a straight line i have found a sixpence from 1948 but thats about 20 years before these houses were built there is alot of rubble so i think maybe its beena dump when  the conservatory was added who knows all i know its going to be a lot of work so me peppers will have to go in the borders this year .
chrissie b

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 23:20 »
the thought had crossed my mind after seeing on the news the story of the dog falling down the well , all thats under there is a heavy type soil and it runs in a straight line i have found a sixpence from 1948 but thats about 20 years before these houses were built there is alot of rubble so i think maybe its beena dump when  the conservatory was added who knows all i know its going to be a lot of work so me peppers will have to go in the borders this year .
chrissie b

It'll be worth it... and you will have a real sense of achievement once they are growing well and looking healthy in the open.  ;)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 02:14 »
One of my best finds in my garden was one of those old clay pipes, the short ones. I was told that there was an old lady who used to run the place as a smallholding, complete with pony and trap, and that she used to smoke a clay pipe :) Oh, and the bread oven door from the old fireplace, which I guess was just chucked out of the window when it was ripped out.

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 12:54 »
well the haul so far is numerous bricks , 7 old pennys , 2 sixpences a ton of old nails and screwa bits of bags and wood but i think im at the last bit now but its several bricks cemented together but there should be enough for an edge if not a new shed lol
chrissie b

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 16:27 »
I was hoping you might unearth something of historic interest..  :( Best I ever found was a King George III penny and a lovely brass beer barrel tap. I don't think it was George's though  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 18:15 »
well the haul so far is numerous bricks , 7 old pennys , 2 sixpences a ton of old nails and screwa bits of bags and wood but i think im at the last bit now but its several bricks cemented together but there should be enough for an edge if not a new shed lol
chrissie b

Who says veg growing doesn't pay its way!  ::)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
new veg patch.

Started by corco2000 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 30, 2009, 20:54
by sunshineband
xx
New veg patch

Started by asd1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 18:31
by Kristen
xx
New patch

Started by Fluff on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:26
by richyrich7
xx
What to do with my new veg patch

Started by AledE on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 21:34
by peapod

Page created in 0.938 seconds with 39 queries.