Green Rhubarb

• 5 Replies

Lottie Mary

Green Rhubarb
« on: April 06, 2011, 20:39 »
Hi All,

I've just baked a lovely sticky rhubarb cake (thanks to the recipes page!), using rhubarb from my allotment.  I've been lucky enough to inherit four well established plants - one of which has actually grown quite large!  I'm planning on splitting the largest two later on this year, but it is precisely those two plants that are giving mainly green stalks.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to rhubarb and I'm wondering if it's OK to eat?

Also - when is the best time to split the crowns?

Finally - should I only harvest a certain amount from each of the plants - or can I pick everything that looks good?

Thanks very much for your help!

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: Green Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 20:45 »
Hi All,

I've just baked a lovely sticky rhubarb cake (thanks to the recipes page!), using rhubarb from my allotment.  I've been lucky enough to inherit four well established plants - one of which has actually grown quite large!  I'm planning on splitting the largest two later on this year, but it is precisely those two plants that are giving mainly green stalks.  I'm a complete novice when it comes to rhubarb and I'm wondering if it's OK to eat?

Also - when is the best time to split the crowns?

Finally - should I only harvest a certain amount from each of the plants - or can I pick everything that looks good?

Thanks very much for your help!

it is advised to split crowns in winter when its nice and cold

it is advised that you pick until the growing season has finished but always leave at least 5 good stalks on so the crown can replenish it then over winter i give it a good load of manure rhubarb plants love it

as for green stalks i always let them redden up slightly
hope this helps

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 20:48 »
Mine's similar - but a whole bunch of flowers have sprung up - do I leave them or chop them off?

Lottie Mary

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 21:38 »
Mine's similar - but a whole bunch of flowers have sprung up - do I leave them or chop them off?

Take the flowering stalks out - as all the goodness from the plant will go into the flowers and not into the lovely stalks.

Mine has bolted big time - but everyone's on the plot seems to have done that this year.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 21:48 »
Yer mines seems to have bolted extra big time to.

Cut the Flower stalk of as soon as you see it.

As for green stalks  i eat them as well !
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 21:53 »
Some of the very early varieties have mainly green stalks. They are OK to eat. Some varieties are nearly red.

By about late June the plants will have stopped putting out fresh stems and it is time to stop picking and allow the plants to build up their reserves. In any case by then the stems tend to get stringy and the taste is very astringent due to the increase in oxalic acid.

Chop off bits of the roots from November onwards. Some advocate leaving them out in the frost before you replant.

xx
GREEN STALKS ON MY RHUBARB

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 19:32
by Buddleja
xx
Rhubarb & Green manure

Started by rufty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 09:27
by Salmo
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 28 queries.