Rollaway nest box inserts

• 2 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Rollaway nest box inserts
« on: April 06, 2011, 20:19 »
Has anybody used these?  It says in the blurb that they can be used in normal nest boxes but I'm wondering how good they are?  I can't tell, and it doesn't say, what they are made of so I'm wondering if they are use a few times and then replace thing or if it's a 'one off' purchase. 

Any comments welcome!  ??? 

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/ChickBox_Rollaway_Nest_Box.html
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Rollaway nest box inserts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 21:27 »
I've got 2 of the chick boxes, which I think are quite expensive, but yes you could fit the rollaway bit into your own nest boxes, just make sure they can't fall forward if a chicken sits on the front bit!

I didn't pay for my two!  I got one from the manufacturers as a sample, and Caralou gave me her one!!!   

They are good as once the egg is laid it rolls down into the covered bit, so make sure your nest box has a tilt to it, even if it means putting a little piece of wood under the back of the rollaway to make it a bit higher than the front!

The down side is that if you haven't got the nest boxes blocked off at night and the hens sleep in them, you will still get poo in the rollaway overnight.  that's why the chick box is good because the little perch closes up, and you can slot them together and put them on top of each other.

Casey76

Re: Rollaway nest box inserts
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32 »
While I think they are good if you have an egg eater, I like my chickens to have a nice cosy nest to lay in - and this is something which is precluded by a roll away box :(

xx
Rollaway nest

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2020, 21:24
by Frizzle1
xx
Rollaway nest box

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 16:42
by pepsi100
xx
Nest Box help please

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 16:06
by Alby
xx
Nest box help.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 22:29
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.