What do you think?

• 7 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
What do you think?
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:50 »
when I got my chucks last week the guy suggested I keep them in the run for two weeks but I want to let them out the only worry I have is that they may not want to go back in and there are cats round would you leave them in the run or let them out? If so I was thinking Friday due to work in the week.

Cheers Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04 »
Try them on Friday and have some of their favourite treats to hand (meal worms are a favourite) so they will return for them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06 »
Cheers will try that,

Bill
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:09 by billathome65 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09 »
yes, wilkinsons sell them (some places are very expensive), don't give them too many as they are a high fat food - however mine have been known to trip me over when they see the mealworm tub and have had a full tub in one go  ::) :lol:

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:13 »
wilkinsons?? I didn't know that and I was in there last blinking week... I just bought a 1Lt tub of ebay worked out around £5.50

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:33 »
When I first got my chickens I kept them in their coop for 24 hours.  On the second day I made a small run using bamboo stakes and bird netting, and let them into that for some supervised outdoor play time. 

At the end of the day they willingly went back into the coop, so a couple of days later I let them into the full run (about 300 square feet).  They still went back into their coop at the end of the day so a couple of days after that I let them out to wander the whole back yard (about 1000 square feet).

I haven't needed to use treats to tempt them back in - they seem to have a very strong homing instinct once they are clear where 'home' is.  Each day at dusk they head right back to the coop.

Or maybe I've just been lucky!  :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40 »
You can train them very quickly with treats to go into their coop. Always give the same call and give treats in their coop - they'll come racing!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 15:55 »
wilkinsons?? I didn't know that and I was in there last blinking week... I just bought a 1Lt tub of ebay worked out around £5.50

That works out better that Wilkos now.  Their worms have gone up to £2.80 for 100 gms but still better than Asda or Crocketts.  Morrisons do a 70gm pouch for £1.99.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.