Broody or sick?

• 5 Replies

hurrooke

Broody or sick?
« on: April 05, 2011, 13:15 »
Hi i am quite new to keeping chickens and i only have 2, My light sussex i thought was going broody but she used to come out for food etc, but for the last few days she dont want to come out at all! She isnt making any noises and doesnt try to peck when moved. She is still laying although thismorning found egg on floor not nest box so she must have laied while purched! I have locked her out for most of today and have seen her eat a bit but shes just stood on the ladder by the door, Her eyes still look bright abd comb is still red, should i be worried??

PaulineM

Re: Broody or sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 14:33 »
Hi
Has she plucked any feathers out from her breast, this is a sure sign that she is broody. When she is in the nestbox does she lie very flatten out, again this is a sign of broodiness.
I think if she was sick she would be sitting hunched up out of the nestbox too, try to see if she has a temperature by feeling under her wing and then compare this to your other hen.
I'm not very experienced with sickness so others might come along and help you more.  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 23:11 »
Hello Hurrooke and welcome to the wacky world of henaholics  :)

I would agree with what PaulineM says and, like her, I'm not that experienced.  As well as checking the temperature you could check some other "usual suspects"

crop - is it hard or soft and squidgy
little visitors - has she been wormed recently, could there be lice or redmite
Poos - there is a good guide to chicken poos if you type that into the search box you will find some good info.  Can't give you the link just at the moment
eating and drinking - is she doing this as normal or has the pattern changed?
movement - is she moving around OK or is there a limp or slower stiffer movement or listlessness
age - how old is she?
breathing - is her breathing noisy or silent?  Is she coughing or sneezing?  Does she have a runny nose or runny eyes?  Is she gaping or shaking her head?

Although you probably won't need it, it may be a good idea to identify a local chicken-friendly vet for if/when you need one.  Not all vets are chicken-friendly and some will not even treat chickens at all.

I'm sure that more experienced people will be along to give you advice; in the meatime Good Luck and keep us posted.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 23:13 by bantam novice »
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:16 »
We have the same situation  for the first time and sounds very much like our little Wyandotte...she too won't come out of the coop and she is broody - lies 'flattenend' in the box and won't come out unless we lift her out.  So we take any eggs away each day ( they are not fertilised) - lift her out once or twice a day - shutting the coop door for about half an hour so that she can't rush back in   -  so that she will eat and drink and just let her get on with it...funnliy enough though am amazed at how clean the box she is sitting is ...no pooh whatsoever !
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 21:00 »
I had a broody who I gave in to and gave some eggs, she wouldn't poop in the old nest box and now she has eggs she won't come out at all unless I lift her and she holds onto her poop until she comes out and does it all in one go!! She doesn't eat much either and is very hot underneath and you can feel her skin where she has plucked her chest feathers out.  Her comb is very pale too.

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 21:36 »
They only do big broody poops to try and keep the nest clean and boy do they stink!! If you don't want them to hatch fertile eggs, you have to block off the nest box.  I usually close the hen house as well and any time you see them settled, move them.  Make life uncomfortable for them.  You can try putting the broody in a dog cage on bricks or some people think dunking their bums in cold water works but I think it's too cold too try these things at the mo. 

xx
is she sick or broody

Started by mich71 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 14:35
by Jeanette
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 36 queries.