Nesting box divide ...

• 8 Replies

laurs01

Nesting box divide ...
« on: April 04, 2011, 21:26 »
Hope someone can help!!!!

I have bought 3 beautiful hens who are setting in very well. My problem is that the nesting box is divided in two but all three chickens like to settle in a night in one compartment. Would there be a problem with them laying if i took the divide out?

Hope someone can help! x :D

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Nesting box divide ...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 21:52 »
The birds will all have a prefered location to lay their eggs and this is usually in the darkest corner. I have ten hens and all lay in one of four nest boxes. Ideally a nest box should be approximately 30cm squared to make it comfortable for them to lay an egg so depending on the size I wouldn't take out the divide. Also, the hens should be forced/encouraged to sleep on a perch. This prevents the nest box from getting dirty and can prevent the birds from getting some illnesses and diseases.

laurs01

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 21:45 »
Thank you for your reply.
We have decided to sectionoff the nesting box at night time to encourage them to stay on their perch. Hopefully they will automatically go to their perch at night from now on!x

andymac

• andymacs
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40 »
Hi.
I have been trying to get some of my girls not to sleep in the nest box section for months now, because of the mess they make in it which makes for dirty eggs,
I too have been closing off the nest box section at night, but every oppertunity they get, they still go in the nest box.
The conclusion I made is that the perch area is just not big enough for 4 birds, although the info on the coup says 4 to 6 birds. I would never house 6 birds in it.

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 20:16 »
Might be over the top but iv'e made an automatic nest box door similar to a pop hole opener. It closes late afternoon and opens late evening (open when they want to lay). The reason being Iv'e got fed up of turfing the birds out of the laying box for the last 12 months. It's OK turfing them out in summer but a pain in winter. Works a treat, no muck in the nest boxes and clean eggs.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 20:18 by Fisherman »

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 21:08 »
As a rough guide each bird requires 20cm of perching space. You will need to be persistent with young birds so they no they should sleep on the perches. Some of the heavy breeds however, may struggle with too high perches - my Faverolles doesn't bother with them and since its only her I must confess I leave her be  :wub:
A lot of houses state how many you can keep in it and sometimes they can be a bit err cosy. Often though they will say 4 medium laying hens or 6 bantams for example. At the end of the day only you know what you are comfortable with and whats best for your birds.

laurs01

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:58 »
Thank you for all your advice! I have been blocing of the nesting box with cardboard after the last hen has laid. This has been working. I forgot to put the divide in the other day and all hens perched. I feel my efforts have been successful! :)

laurs01

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 12:00 »
* blocking!

brick22

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 12:50 »
Great advice about blocking the nest box off, both mine sleep in them which wasn't a problem at first but now they have both started laying.
Not sure what I can do though as when I let them out at 7 this morning (normal time) they had both already laid. I would hate for them to be desperate to lay with nowhere to go....would they hold on if they couldnt lay in their normal spot?
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

xx
Nesting Boxes - Divide or not

Started by gsc on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:23
by gsc
xx
nesting box

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 21:55
by Lindeggs
xx
nesting?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 23:18
by viettaclark
xx
Nesting box

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 13:50
by Bren200

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 36 queries.