Compost v Manure

• 5 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Compost v Manure
« on: April 04, 2011, 20:15 »
Ok - so I'm very new at this veg-growing game, and come up with the numptiest questions  ??? - but please could somebody explain to me when I should use compost and when I should use manure, and what their respective advantages/disadvantages are?

Also - how much are you supposed to use of each?

Thank you!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost v Manure
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 21:10 »
There are no daft questions on here  ;)

(I don't know the specific answers to your questions)   :lol:

Both compost and manure are what is generically called 'organic matter'.  This means material which you add to the soil to improve its structure - it aids drainage in heavy soils and aids water retention in light soils, amazingly enough.

Although they have some nutrients, they are not used for that purpose as such, see here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/fertilizer/index.php

In general, you are not advised to add fresh manure to the soil as it can rob it of nitrogen whilst rotting down, and will be too strong for plants also growing at the same time.  People often add manure in autumn.

I use my compost in spring when I remember to empty the bins!  I put it on the ground where I'm going to grow peas, beans, courgettes or sweetcorn, as I think it helps them with water retention.  I've absolutely no idea if I should be doing something different - I've never properly understood this subject  ::)

Don't add either, though, where you are going to grow carrots or parsnips as they will fork or go hairy.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 21:15 »
I spread manure in the autumn after rough digging and let the worms drag it down into the soil. I also add as much well rotted manure as i can in my bean treches. What's left goes in the compost bins and is used throughout the year as required.

pete1977

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 22:16 »

In general, you are not advised to add fresh manure to the soil as it can rob it of nitrogen whilst rotting down

I thought manure put nitrogen back to the soil and it was wood etc that robbed the soil of nitrogen in the breaking down process i.e. maure with lots of starw in... am I wrong?

prakash_mib

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31 »

In general, you are not advised to add fresh manure to the soil as it can rob it of nitrogen whilst rotting down

I thought manure put nitrogen back to the soil and it was wood etc that robbed the soil of nitrogen in the breaking down process i.e. maure with lots of starw in... am I wrong?

I think its the other way. you are not supposed to put fresh manure because of two main reasons.
1. very high nitrogen content which burns the plants.
2. contains transferable/harmful bacteria for human beings (I read this somewhere). the council/association blocks people from using fresh manure on this "ground"  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 14:42 »

anything that is still rotting will use nitrogen from the soil until it has finished rotting. When the rotting process has finished the nitrogen from within the manure will finally be released to the soil.
that's why the advice is to add only well rotted manure to beds that are soon to be used.

xx
compost vs cow manure

Started by harlequincc on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 19:20
by thearaig
xx
Manure/compost

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 21:23
by hightide
xx
best Compost/ Manure

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 19:11
by Yorkie
xx
To Compost Or Manure?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 22:41
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.838 seconds with 38 queries.