Another question!! Converting a shed into a chicken coop

• 2 Replies

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
Right, I need a bigger chicken coop, (needs to be roomy incase of any expansion lol) so I would like to convert my wooden shed into a chicken coop, now bearing in mind Im no DIY genius how do people go about doing this?

Ill put boxes in as nest boxes, Ill somehow put roosting poles in and how on earth do I make a pop hole? Id prefer to try and make one so that if the need arises I have the option of putting in an automatic pop hole.

I think Im ok with the run, Im getting some weld mesh from Hills of Devon I think

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Re: Another question!! Converting a shed into a chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 15:28 »
Without seeing the shed it's hard to say exactly but for the pophole, if you have a jigsaw you could drill a hole and then use the jigsaw from that to cut out a rectangle shape large enough for them.  Just be sure you cut this out of the cladding and don't affect the actual frame of the shed.

If they're in a secure run this probably won't need a door but if you want a door on there then you need to decide whether to just add something with hinges or build something which slides, which would then be compatible with an automatic opener.

Other things with a shed - just check there aren't any nails sticking out anywhere.  Is there ventillation?  Is there any damp?

Not sure what more to suggest.. I've probably patronised you already!!

rachelr

Re: Another question!! Converting a shed into a chicken coop
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 19:42 »
another idea for the door hole is to get a lockable cat flap. You cant latch it in the day time and lock it at night.

Perches need to be smooth and the correct size as they get bumble foot easily if not.

Does your window open in the shed maybe change it for a mesh so that you can see in and air can get in as well

xx
shed to chicken coop

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 16:06
by evie2
xx
Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

Started by FCG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:24
by Porffor
xx
converting shed

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 12:53
by Elcie
xx
converting a shed

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:24
by boybrown

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 36 queries.