Dwarf nectarine tree

• 2 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Dwarf nectarine tree
« on: April 03, 2011, 19:35 »
Last year I bought a dwarf nectarine tree and it arrived in blossom I potted it up and watered it etc and pretty much left it alone it is now sprining to life again for the warm weather and I am wondering is there anything I should do? Change it's soil feed it anything? I am also wondering is it at 3 years old it will produce fruit?

Many thanks Nicky

Trillium

Re: Dwarf nectarine tree
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 15:39 »
Potted plants always need regular feeding as they quickly use up nutrients in their confined space, so some chicken pellets and bit of BFB meal are good choices, as well as regular watering with a bit of compost tea.

Nectarines can be treated like peaches and are normally self-pollinating. Your tree might be reaching bearing age this year, or next, and here's something about pruning which is unique to nectarines. This is taken from Garden Central:

"Prune With A Vengeance -If you do decide upon a nectarine tree, or several for that matter, be aware that they require fairly heavy pruning, more than your typical fruit tree. Fruit is set on one-year old branches, so once your tree begins to bear fruit, heavy winter pruning should result in a bumper crop. Don't just take a few snips here and a few there. You want to cut away at least 60% of the previous years growth. Also prune so that the center of the tree is fairly open, and has no crossing branches. This is good practice with almost any fruit tree. By keeping the center open, you may be able to avoid brown rot, a somewhat common disease affecting nectarine and peach trees. Besides providing delicious fruit, most varieties of the nectarine tree will put on a flower show for you each spring. They also make a nice ornamental addition to the yard or garden. If you purchase a single tree only, don't worry about pollination. Unlike some fruit trees, you only need to plant one to get fruit. All that is required is a visit by some bees at the appropriate time. When fruit starts to develop, thinning is a good idea. Use your judgment. You'll get larger fruit for certain, but also avoid the possibility of broken branches as a nectarine tree is usually a very heavy producer. You can prop branches up of course, but thinning is far and away the preferred approach."

I have peach trees but they don't require such heavy pruning. But they do need the fruit set thinned out as I did have a big branch snap last year from too much fruit weight  :(

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Re: Dwarf nectarine tree
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07 »
That's fab thank you. Sorry to hear you had a snapped branch though that's not so good  :(

xx
Nectarine tree unhealthy.

Started by DampPatch on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 19:37
by gobs
xx
dwarf apple tree....

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 09:12
by cAnAry53
xx
My dwarf apple tree

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2019, 11:10
by snow white
xx
Dwarf pear tree

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 10:01
by LilacSandy

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 36 queries.