Does it matter if they don't perch to roost?

• 5 Replies

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
Does it matter if they don't perch to roost?
« on: April 01, 2011, 18:32 »
We've had our chickens for a week tomorrow and I so far I can't get them to roost on their perch  ??? They really want to sleep in the nesting box and the only way I've found to stop them is by filling it with upturned flower pots - but if there's even a little room they will try and squeeze in there!
I have tried going out at dusk and picking them up and placing them on the perch but they always just start fussing around and won't stay there. Am I going in too early? If I leave it till later will they stay "sleepy" and let me place them on the perch? Or do I still just need to keep persevering?
Or does it really not matter where thy sleep??
[They are 17 weeks old if this makes a difference]

Gerty333

Re: Does it matter if they don't perch to roost?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 21:09 »
Hi Pepper,
I'm new to chickens so I had this with mine a few weeks back! I don't think its the end of the world if they don't but its a good habit to get them to do it. Mine smashed and ate a few by sleeping in their nest box and if you've not long had them it should be quite easy to change.
With mine I waited until they were in and sleepy (so an hour or so after they've gone in) and went in with a torch and moved them. I took the nest box out every night (because I can with mine). After about 4-5 days one of them started going up herself and after about a week they both were, i leave the nest box in now because they know where to go! I just check on them when i tuck they away and occaisionally i have to move hansel because she doesn't always perch but apart from that they pretty much do it now!
Hope that helps.

magicfairy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 21:30 »
I am only a novice too, but one of our was doing this and we were recommended to close of the nest boxes completly.  I put an old board in front of them, so they can't see them at all.  I do this before they go to bed.  It seems to have worked, she is perching now with the others, but I still put the board in, just habit now I guess.

joodith

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 22:56 »
I'm intrigued by this question because I honestly hadn't given it any thought at all....my two girls sleep snuggled up together in a favourite corner of the nesting box. They're about 18 months old and, as far as I know, they have always slept this way, except a few weeks ago when Vera was very ill, when she chose the opposite side of their house. Once she had recovered, they were back to snuggling.

I would be interested to know if this is not the "correct" way, but I'll not force them to change as they're ahppy with their sleeping arrangements.  :)

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 23:04 »
It is natural for chickens to perch.  I would block off nest box and just keep moving them on to perches. They will get the message eventually (maybe).  If they stay in nestbox you will end up with pooey eggs and broken eggs.  :( 

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 00:26 »
My 2 Orpingtons girls always sleep in the nest box and have done this for 2 1/2 years they have not broken one egg yet , the 2 Friesian and 2 Barnevelder use the perch and they are all happy
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

xx
New chicken keeper - how to make them roost on perch?

Started by momo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 23:06
by Planner
xx
Getting chickens to roost on bar

Started by purpletart on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 17:32
by janeheritage
xx
getting chickens to use the roost...

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 19:09
by daisy1990
xx
New hen that wont go to roost

Started by old chook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 12:31
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 35 queries.