I give up!!

• 16 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
I give up!!
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:03 »
I have 3 silkie crosses who each keep going broody and so far have managed to stop all 3 so far this year. Well yesterday I noticed Danni had succumbed yet again so this morning off she went to the silkie sin bin squawking and screaming (her not me  ::)) and then I turn around to see Claudette rosey away to herself and being told off by the others.
Now the rosey away is a sure sign she is talking to her eggs that she has left whilst grabbing a bite to eat and drink and the being told off is the others telling her to hurry up and get back to raising the next generation. Well I watched then all of a sudden she made a dash for it, crawled through the hedge bottom and ran off into the field. I watched her disappear until I could see her tail bobbing along no more.
So will she be bringing me some more silkie crosses back, araucanas, keets (especially as I don't know where the guineas are laying or even what sex they are - suspect they are female but never found any eggs) or araucana crossed with absolutely any of my other girls? The farmer has sprayed the field in the last 2 days but obviously missed her and her eggs luckily. Oh well time will tell what we have got  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

Re: I give up!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:07 »
lol!

didn't Claudette do this last year too?

joyfull

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:12 »
no it was another one who bought the chicks back but didn't know what to do with them after that - Danni raised them for her. Claudette sat on some eggs down the bank at the side of the beck but whatever eggs she sat on didn't hatch so she gave up after 5 weeks.
I really didn't want to raise any chicks this year and least of all by Claudette as she is my original tree dweller and all her chicks have followed her into the trees (which is why I have 14 greet me every morning already up and about  :lol:)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:35 »
I really didn't want to raise any chicks this year and least of all by Claudette as she is my original tree dweller and all her chicks have followed her into the trees (which is why I have 14 greet me every morning already up and about  :lol:)
[/quote]

How high up do they roost Joyfull?  One of my black Rocks - Little Miss Sunshine flew up to a branch in our Silver Birch tree.  When I measured it - 7 feet high, hope she does not get into the habit of it.  :dry:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15 »
Aww so sweet.  Mine were both doing the soft cluck cluck last week when they were broody but they didn't have anything to sit on.  Strange.  They must go broody and then think they have eggs to talk to.  If humans went on like that, they would be considered mad  :lol:  :lol: 

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:22 »
The guineas roost in the cherry trees about 20 feet up, two others a lavender araucana and red/black cockerel sleep in a field maple together about 10 feet up and the rest are in the laurels about 15 feet high. They stay out in all weathers even appearing in the mornings with frost on their backs  :ohmy:

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:05 »
I thought they weren't meant to be good flyers, I hoped the 7 foot lowest branches would be too high.  Then again I want them to be able to aviod predators so I am confused as to how I should feel.   :blink: 

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:10 »
I thought they weren't meant to be good flyers, I hoped the 7 foot lowest branches would be too high.  Then again I want them to be able to aviod predators so I am confused as to how I should feel.   :blink: 

Do they have any launch pads near by?

If you clip a wing they shouldn't be able to get up that high (but where chickens are concerned... who knows  :tongue2: )

My pullets became more ameanable to staying in the copp once they started laying, if that's any help... also because I started poking them out of the tree with a broomstick  :blink:

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21 »
My pullets became more ameanable to staying in the copp once they started laying, if that's any help... also because I started poking them out of the tree with a broomstick  :blink:

You should take lessons from Joy and then you wouldn't need to use your broomstick to poke them you could fly up to get them :lol: ;)
HF
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:22 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 12:23 »
 :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29 »
no launch pads - they just get up on the lowest branch and work their way up (all of them are laying - some in the coops and others in lorry cabs, on top of stacks of bricks or in the fields). I did try trying to get them out by using Grannie Annie's keep net which has a 6 foot pole but this drove them higher so now I leave them, one of them is a goldline who isn't a small chicken - she sleeps on top of an engine  ::).
The guineas before they fly up just stand there eyeing up the tree then they dip their necks and just fly right up - no hoping from branch to branch for them  :D.

:tongue2: @ HF

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 01:49 »
Aww so sweet.  Mine were both doing the soft cluck cluck last week when they were broody but they didn't have anything to sit on.  Strange.  They must go broody and then think they have eggs to talk to.  If humans went on like that, they would be considered mad  :lol:  :lol: 

Ah but if we don't have any babies to talk to, we talk to our chickens instead!

And have you ever seen a woman in a supermarket daydreaming and rocking the supermarket trolley back and forth like it's a pram?

I think you're right.  We should all be in the mad-house.  :wacko:

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 07:51 »
Could you not round up the local children population on Easter Sunday to scour the fields, bushes, woods for eggs? It seems they will be ripe for the job on the day!
Shame they won't find chocolate eggs though, but will be fun to see how eggs come back from everywhere.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 20:15 »

Do they have any launch pads near by?

If you clip a wing they shouldn't be able to get up that high (but where chickens are concerned... who knows  :tongue2: )

My pullets became more ameanable to staying in the copp once they started laying, if that's any help... also because I started poking them out of the tree with a broomstick  :blink:

No launch pads, as I said just took off like a harrier jump jet.  The lowest branch is 7 feet high.  Don't really want to clip their wings.  Two have yet to lay their first eggs so I was hoping that they would be a little heavier and less likely to fly so high when they start laying.   :D

evie2

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 20:09 »
. . . I really didn't want to raise any chicks this year . . .

Unless they're Lemon Millefleur Sablepoots ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

clip
has anyone see this will give me nightmares!

Started by traacyken on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 14:22
by traacyken
xx
How often do you give treats to your chooks?

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 21:31
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 38 queries.