japanese onions

• 10 Replies

angel_stephen

japanese onions
« on: March 31, 2011, 21:55 »
Hi

Does anyone know where to get hold of Japanese onions, also called everlasting onions?

They are sets, which grow to the size of a small spring onion, and divide up into clumps. The bulbs have a thin dark red papery skin, and they are fully hardy.

I've tried googling without success - just get results for onion sets or spring onion seeds.  Maybe there is another name for them?

Thanks

Paul Plots

Re: japanese onions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 22:20 »
I thought Japanese onion sets were the sort that are planted out as an over-wintering crop  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 22:24 »
Yes Learner I thought they were winter set
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 22:42 »
Try the link below. Better if you get someone local to give you a few.

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/vegetable_seeds/onion_seed_siberian_everlasting/

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:08 »
My over wintering onions started off with a lot of promise, then they went a funny colour and I thought the frost must have damaged them but if they're over wintering onions, surely they should be frost hardy.  Some of them seem tp have disappeared as well.  Everyone I've asked at our allotments says whenever they've tried them they don't work, must be something to do with the air/soil round our place??  Someone else told me they saw a load of crows on a compost pile near my onions and thinks the've probably picked some off as well.  I'm not ready to give up on them just yet though, I'm going to try feeding them a bit more.

ferreter51

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:35 »
My over wintering onions started off with a lot of promise, then they went a funny colour and I thought the frost must have damaged them but if they're over wintering onions, surely they should be frost hardy.  Some of them seem tp have disappeared as well.  Everyone I've asked at our allotments says whenever they've tried them they don't work, must be something to do with the air/soil round our place??  Someone else told me they saw a load of crows on a compost pile near my onions and thinks the've probably picked some off as well.  I'm not ready to give up on them just yet though, I'm going to try feeding them a bit more.

I planted them for the first time last autumn.  They sprouted in December, but have not made any real progress since then.  I, too, believe that Japanese onions are the overwintering variety.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:45 »

Does anyone know where to get hold of Japanese onions, also called everlasting onions?

Everlasting onions are also called Siberian or Welsh onions - but they are a bunching onion (or as you might have guessed, like a spring onion)  As pointed out by others, Japanese onion are an over wintering variety which actually do not store as well as summer grown crops.  Japanese onion seeds are sown in mid-late August, or sets planted out late September/October for cropping in late May/June  :)

ferreter51

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 07:47 »

Everlasting onions are also called Siberian or Welsh onions - but they are a bunching onion (or as you might have guessed, like a spring onion)  As pointed out by others, Japanese onion are an over wintering variety which actually do not store as well as summer grown crops.  Japanese onion seeds are sown in mid-late August, or sets planted out late September/October for cropping in late May/June  :)

Siberian or Japanese onions - I wonder how they came by the names?  If I throw a stone out of the garden, it will probably land in Wales and I have friends in Siberia who have never heard of the variety.  Quite a long way between the two places!

angel_stephen

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 20:34 »
Fisherman thanks so much for the link - my seeds are now on order.

Everyone else - thanks for your replies - I now know I got the name wrong and they are Siberian Onions!

:)

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22 »
At one time the English referred to almost everything foreign as 'Welsh' - even if it was really from Siberia!

I have a small clump of Welsh onions in my herb bed and they are great - very low maintenance and, apart from initial cost, free as they multiply all by themselves. Just need the willpower to let them spread a bit more before taking too many!

fatbelly

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:49 »
Japanese Onions are plated in the Autumn, over winter and come back into life early spring for a June ish harvest. They don't store as well as Spring sown sets, most people use them to fill the gap whilst waiting for your spring sown sets to mature in July / August
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
Japanese Onions

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 22:04
by VegGirl7
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 18:41
by Remy
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:01
by Jeanieblue
xx
Japanese Onions...

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 15:52
by noshed

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 37 queries.