i want chickens, but..........

• 16 Replies

neenyneen

i want chickens, but..........
« on: March 31, 2011, 21:55 »
i have 2 large dogs. The dogs are kept in the garden in their own penned off area, if i were to get chickens (i want my own beautiful breakfast eggs and have heard they are wonderful pets for kids!) would the presence of my dogs stress them out, i.e. will they get so stressed out they might die? The dogs come outof their pen and into the house, but are not left in the garden (no doggy poop on my garden please). Advises would be much appreciated. Thanks!
love my chickens me! :-)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: i want chickens, but..........
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 21:59 »
I have a Newfoundland cross GSD and a Neapolitan Mastiff and although the Nea used to chase the chickens when she was a pup now she is 3 she doesn't bother (unless the chickens come into the house after her food).
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 22:10 »
If you don't like doggy poop in the garden, have you thought about the amount of chicken poop you will have to deal with?  They do it non-stop  :lol: and wreck the garden at the same time  :lol:  :lol:
but couldn't do without mine now.  And who cares about nice gardens when you have chickies to watch and the freshest eggs ever (sometimes)  :D

Chickway

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 22:29 »
I have three cocker spaniels age 4, 3 and 1 and they are all fine and wander in and out of the chicken run with the chickens when they are having their free range time in the garden.  The other day I put out some food for the chickens and the dogs were trying to eat it (usually I keep the dogs in when the chickens are having their treats) and the chickens started to peck the dogs and they just moved away.  If you do it gradually and with alot of supervision you should be ok. 

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

neenyneen

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 22:33 »
@joyful i have full breed GSD and a rotty, they always chase the magpies in the garden and the rotty has caught a few sparrows...........

@ Jinty1911 chicky poop at least fertilises your grass tho! :D my grass is wrecked anyway, my bf is rubbish at laying turf and two boys aged 2 & 5 who got gardening tools for Christmas haven't helped!! i've always wanted chickens, but just not sure how hard/easy they are tokeep, done loads of research on net this week, and seems easier than i 1st thought- just got to convince the boyf now!! lol

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 22:50 »
I suppose it depends on what the dogs are like.  We have a Rottie next door and my wee pom sneaks under our garden fence into his garden, curls her lips at him and he just stands there while she walks into his house and jumps on his owner knee. So said, the pom is chased by the chickens and the rabbits, and the rabbits are chased by the chickens ho hum  :lol:  :lol:   

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35 »
My friend has got a doberman, rottie and another mongral and four chickens. He said at first the dogs wouldn't leave them alone and tried to get in the run with them, but after a while they got used to them and didn't bother them.

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49 »
My neighbour has a doberman, a jack russell and a rottweiler and has six chickens.  ERrrrrrr.............make that two now :unsure:
HF
Truth through science.

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 13:07 »
In my experience, chickens are quite adaptable and quickly got used to our dog being around when they (the hens) first arrived about a year ago. In time you should find the dogs will also get used to the chickens being there.

From my own experience (other may say different) though I would not allow hens and dogs to roam freely together. As long as the hens are in a secure run they should be fine.
Helen

Dominic

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 13:24 »
I've got two chiuahuahs and 4x 4 week old chicks
 The inquisitive one is, inquisitive, although after two weeks, he's gotten a bit bored of the chicks
The stupid one hasnt paid them a blind bit of notice, except when they fly.
By the time the chickens are outside in the run, I think the dogs will have long since ceased to care.

That said, I would make sure your dogs do meet them and are bored of them, that way, an escape is unlikely to have bad consequences.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Junie

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 13:34 »
I have JRT, He went for the chickens once ( once he had seen the boys trying to catch one!) He was put in the outdoor kennel for a few hours and hasn't been near them since!  The chicks that have grown up with him, ( Did not leave them alone tog as I don't think the dog saw them as chickens) follow him and have even gone up to him to share a bowl of water.
It depends on the dogs, but getting the chooks used to them being around, before introducing them would help I think.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 22:57 »
It seems to depend on individual dogs, but ours stung their noses on the electric fence round the chickens area about 3 times each before deciding ....they're not that interesting! 
I don't know what would happen if a chicken invaded  the rest of the garden, but I try to explain that "we don't eat family".
ManicMum

wildwitchy

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 23:21 »
I think most of the time the chickens & certainly (the geese) rule the roost. A few pecks or bites on nose, ear soon tells the dog who's boss. I've a ex police dog (she's very old now) but she's always been bottom of the pecking order & has never attempted to bite/snap even when the geese sometimes bite her behind!

chicks & goslings have never been a problem either. Shes kept poorly chicks warm in her fur & I had ex batts called marmite & sylvia that used sleep with her when in the house.

pippa will "attempt" to chase other strange animals but not our own.

I think your dogs will be fine, they will know given guidance from you.

neenyneen

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 23:41 »
thanks very much for all your comments!  :)

just got to talk the hubby into letting me bring some new additions home-the kids are already sold and are very excited!  :lol:

bantam novice

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45 »
Good luck and lets have some pics when they arrive!   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
new to chickens

Started by mugins on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 18:32
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.