Two Tone Egg?

• 5 Replies

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
Two Tone Egg?
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:32 »
 :ohmy: I posted a few days ago about how my Legbar had started to lay and they were olive green in colour.

This morning when i went to let them out i noticed a Blue egg in the far corner of the coop. I ased my hubby to reach in for it and thats when he noticed a soft shell egg not far from the other. He handed the blue egg to me and set about removing the other.

This is what he handed me. The egg is part blue and part olive and the soft shell egg was hers to  ??? The bottom pic, the blue is chalky and can be scraped off. Whats caused her to have 2 eggs like this?
Polly's Eggs 013.JPG
Polly's Eggs 012.JPG
Polly's Eggs 007.JPG
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:37 by SoniaBA »

Beano

Re: Two Tone Egg?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:23 »
I'll be very interested to know what replies there are to this subject. One of mine has inconsistent egg colouring. Sometimes green sometimes blue and sometimes two tone.
I assumed that the different colouring was in layers and that the green was the last layer that sometimes did not get put on evenly. On the other hand I may be wrong.
El.

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:28 »
The blue was the last layer, can scrape some of it off (from the bit in the bottom pic) and under is olive green! This is only her 4th (and 5th with the soft shell) egg, the others were olive green. Just dont know why she lay these 2 eggs last night/this morning!
 Well before i posted i did have a good look to see where she was hiding her paint brush  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:40 by SoniaBA »

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:43 »
What happens is that you have the egg base colour, and at the last moment, a "bloom" is added to the egg before it is layed.

The density of the bloom can effect the colour, but it isn't "washable" so it can be removed by the bedding or similar.

One of my pullets has just started laying and the bloom on her eggs is so thick that it makes her pale brown eggs look pink/purple! But the bottom of the egg is always straw patterned.

Beano

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 13:08 »
Ah, that makes sense of what I see with my chicken's eggs.
Thankyou.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 14:40 »
I watched Emerald one of my Black Rocks lay her first egg today and it is nearly all chalky apart from a small patch where she managed a bit of bloom.  The others are a normal egg from Bossy Boots (Bovan Goldline) and one of her double yolkers.  Need to get bigger egg cosies for them!
Emeralds first egg and another Bossy Boots Double yolker 001 (508 x 381).jpg
Emeralds first egg and another Bossy Boots Double yolker 003 (508 x 381).jpg
Emeralds first egg and another Bossy Boots Double yolker 004 (600 x 450).jpg
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 29 queries.