Bean sprouts

• 3 Replies

Lardman

Bean sprouts
« on: March 30, 2011, 23:06 »
Following a post on here - I purchased some mung beans from the supermarket, soaked them over night, drained and kept them somewhere dark and sort of warm.

Im a bit disappointed with the result, after 2 weeks they're very small curly and thin sprout and a few are a rather unpleasant brown colour. I rinsed / drained them everyday in clean water.

Any suggestions on how I can improve results ?

Nikkithefoot

Re: Bean sprouts
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:53 »
When I sprout beans I keep them in the light. Usually this is in a warm kitchen on a windowsill but not in direct sun. They can be ready anytime after a week or so of sprouting. The shoots should be quite fat. Don't over fill your jar though, and rinse twice daily.

Good luck
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:02 »
The seed coats tend to brown and then start rotting off after the seeds have germinated although I've usually eaten them by then!

Yours appear to have germinated OK, so I can only suggest perhaps they weren't warm enough, or possibly overcrowded, not drained sufficiently after washing, or sealed too tightly in the jar (best to only loosely replace the lid to allow them to breathe.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:32 »
no matter what I do they never seem to look quite as long, pale, and appetising as the ones that you buy in the supermarket :unsure: but they usually taste ok  :D

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
sprouts

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 18:27
by Christine
xx
sprouts

Started by ravenzero1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 19:54
by smc

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 38 queries.