azalea's

• 6 Replies

babycakes

azalea's
« on: March 30, 2011, 22:14 »
hi all, i was wonderinn/hopin anyone can give me advice on an indoor azalea? can i split this lovely plant? and also plant outside?
Thanku  :)

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Re: azalea's
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 23:29 »
Azaleas are one of my favourites, but I've not got the soil for them here so they're destined for a life in tubs.

Growing Outdoors:

You need acid soil with good drainage.  Put them in a spot that receives morning sunshine, but try to get it shaded in the afternoon.  Once it's planted outside, wait a couple of weeks, even four before your fertilise it, the wait makes the plants roots develop on their own, meaning the plant settles better.  Dead heading is essential, as the buds for next years flowers are formed the year before.  Pruning is pretty simple, cut back long stems after blooms have faded, and bushy varieties take well to simple topiary.

Growing indoors:

Azaleas indoors are a doddle, Stick it in a pot full of ericaceous compost, and keep it in a sunny spot that isn't too warm, I'd avoid full south facing areas.  When the plant is in bloom, feed every couple of weeks, and stop when the blooms have gone.  To promote blooming, take the pots and stand them outside for 2 or 3 weeks, once all the frost risk is gone.  Bring them back in, and blooms should start reappearing.

Hope that helps!

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 00:46 »
We (Christine :lol:)left one outside a couple of weeks ago & of course it got frosted & the blooms dropped.
The plant is ok I think.
Should we just write it off for this year or is there anything we can do to ressurect it.

Am I hijacking a thread again.......sorry I have so many questions :) & a thirst for knowledge ??? :wacko: :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 18:12 »
I'm pretty sure blooms are formed the previous autumn so I very much doubt you'll get new ones now, chris
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 20:07 »
Yorkie is right I'm afraid, there's no chance of new blooms now I'm afraid :(

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 00:02 »
I bought 2 azaleas last year that are doing well and there are buds. Someone told me that the buds are not necessarily flower buds...could be new shoots. :(
So now I'm waiting to see.....

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:10 »
In my experience, flower buds form on last years growth, so I think any buds you'll see now will be flowers.  :).  New growth occurs after blooming, so once the flowers have dropped, you're safe to prune.

xx
MY POTTED AZALEA

Started by tulsalady on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 19:58
by DavidT
xx
azalea question

Started by monsta on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 20:03
by monsta
xx
Soil for Azalea

Started by iggyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 16:03
by izzy

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 37 queries.