Buzzards

• 18 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
Buzzards
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:29 »
We had a buzzard circling over our garden the other day and my hubby said he could be eyeing up the chickens.  Is he just winding me up or can buzzards swoop down onto a chicken ?
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Buzzards
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:34 »
Yes it has been known, how common I don't know. But it's a hazard that has to be accepted.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Beano

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08 »
I would have thought that a medium sized chicken is to much for a buzzard. They tend to go for mice, carrion, and quite often you can see them pulling worms out of the ground.
We have had a buzzard and kites around and they really spook the chickens.
I would not be surprised if your buzzard was sizing up your chickens and decided that they were too big to handle. Do the have bushes to hide under?
I would be more worried if I had goshawks hanging around. They would kill your chickens and rip them apart on the ground.
El.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48 »
I agree, buzzards are unlikely to come near your garden. For such big birds they are quite prissy eaters and would rather go for carrion.

A sparrowhawk, on the other hand, will keep an eye on gardens and might take a small chicken. One tried to get an adult guinea pig from our's!

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32 »
We have a family of buzzards that patrol over the city. When the girls hear their mews they stop absolutely dead in their tracks and don't move a muscle until they've gone....sometimes more than 5 mins!
Quite eerie to watch....

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40 »
Generally chickens are quite observant and normally get out the way. The other day a paraglider flew over our coop, one of them saw it, made a noise to warn the others and with that they ran under cover - either under the coop or inside it. I also watched a chicken program the other month now and they tested how the birds reacted when a predator was about. At one point they let a bird of prey fly around the run and all the chickens darted to cover and didn't come out until it had gone.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 14:07 »
A frequent question and I've never heard of anyone who has seen this happen.  We have them and kites too and the chickens tend to hide while they are about. 

You can protect your chickens from Sparrowhawks by having tall trees or other vertical obstructions which deter them from swooping which is how they usually attack.

HF
Truth through science.

evie2

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 17:44 »
Toward the end of last summer, a mature Sablepoot was taken from our friends farm by a Raptor, he witnessed it, but poots are smaller than general bantams.

We also often have a Sparrow Hawk visit our front garden, it just sits there, very strange :wacko: 
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 18:09 »
A frequent question and I've never heard of anyone who has seen this happen.  We have them and kites too and the chickens tend to hide while they are about. 

You can protect your chickens from Sparrowhawks by having tall trees or other vertical obstructions which deter them from swooping which is how they usually attack.

HF

I think the trees would have to be close together to deter a sparrowhawk which are woodland birds and normally hunt from trees.I have read about spars flying at speed between the horizontal bars of a wooden five bar gate just for the fun of it.
Sparrowhawks will find a discreet perch (a shady tree) and wait for a target to set itself up in a takeable position so do not waste a lot of energy hunting on the wing.
Buzzards and Sparrowhawks are not generally  a threat to large hens.

elibump

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 18:30 »
Although I dont know the answer personally,the local farmer here, who has a field of chickens, has put up a wooden 'cross' wearing an old cagool (sp?) with the hood up so it looks like there is a person in the field.  He says its to stop the buzzards but we also have hen harriers here so although I'm not sure of the answer, Néné has apparently never lost a chicken to buzzards since adding this sculpture to his field.

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 18:50 »
i'm not sure of buzzards but next door had an adult 5kg rabbit taken from their garden by a sparrowhawk last year- she saw it happening from the kitchen but by the time she got to the door it had carried it off.

i have also had the pair in my garden after bringing down wood pigeons mid flight.

best to be cautious me thinks.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 19:14 »
i'm not sure of buzzards but next door had an adult 5kg rabbit taken from their garden by a sparrowhawk last year- she saw it happening from the kitchen but by the time she got to the door it had carried it off.

i have also had the pair in my garden after bringing down wood pigeons mid flight.

best to be cautious me thinks.

I think a sparrowhawk would not get a wild 1.5kg rabbit off the ground. A 5kg bunny is a golden eagle sized meal.
A woodpigeon at .5kg is about as big a prey item a sparrowhawk will take and it will eat most of that where it kills it.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 19:51 »
Interesting little article http://www.smallholdingtimes.co.uk/smallholding-articles/protect-chickens-buzzards/ on here about the subject.

Near to us we have a loose female harris hawk, there's been quite a few attempts at catching her but so far she's evaded re-capture She seems to be in real good condition so feeding herself well. Lost her traces etc.  I've been told by a falconer they could easily take a hen or rabbit.

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 20:23 »
A couple of locals had Harris hawks which they flew at rabbits with some success :), an escapee harris hawk would be a far bigger threat than any wild buzzard as they would be used to humans and urban environments.
If a buzzard is released from an animal rescue centre after treatment the same may apply but they are far less bold than a harris hawk.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55 »
interesting article - thanks RR  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
buzzards

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 10:38
by 8doubles
xx
Advice re: buzzards please

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 20:44
by Psychopenny
xx
Can Buzzards or Kites take fully grown hens????

Started by Prod on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 14:41
by Snoop

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 38 queries.