sulmtaller missing head feathers- pecking or mites?

• 4 Replies

stickywicket

sulmtaller missing head feathers- pecking or mites?
« on: March 29, 2011, 14:04 »
Hi
I've got 2 sulmtalller cross breeds that are coming up to one year old.
They used to have lovely head feathers but started moulting (so I thought) at least a couple of months ago now. I've had them since last Sptember. I have 2 other chooks, who are the more dominant.

The sulmtaller are now pretty scruffy/balding on top and also just under their beaks on their breast.

I thought they were just taking their time to get their new feathers but this has been going on for weeks so took them to the vet today. She thinks there is some feather pecking going on but not sure if mites (unusual on the head area - she said) or bacterial problem. Been given some drops to put on back of head.

I'm not convinced that it's just feather pecking as I don't notice a lot of that going on and I only have 4 who have plenty of space and a pecking block to amuse them and I let them free range sometimes as well.

Does anyone have any experience of prolonged feather re-growth on head and neck area, especiallly in this breed?

Would be interested to know.

Many thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: sulmtaller missing head feathers- pecking or mites?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 14:16 »
are they bantam or large fowl version of the Sulmtaler breed?
Can you see any new quills appearing on the head area - may look like little spikes covered with a white waxy tube - or even what looks like small white bits in the coop? If this is the case they are growing their new feathers back.
If the area looks red then it could be feather pecking and you may need to fit anti peck beak clips on the other birds to prevent this happening.
Inspect them around the tail area for any nits or lice and if any found then apply something like frontline in between the shoulder blades where they cant reach to preen (this is not licenced for poultry so you may have to get it from your vets and sign for it).
Staffies are softer than you think.

stickywicket

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 15:37 »
Hi Joyfull
Than you for your reply.
They are the bantam version (as are my other 2).
The vet did notice some red area on one of them which made her think of feather pecking.
There are new feather spikes on the head ( not really on the breast area though) but they never seem to grow very much so perhaps they are being pecked before they can grow?
Is there anything other than anti peck beak clips that would be worth trying first?
Thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 16:23 »
you can buy anti peck stuff or ukadex - ukadex will leave the feathers brown for a while and smells awful  :)

stickywicket

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 18:56 »
Thanks!

xx
Losing head feathers

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 20:13
by karlooben
xx
hen missing tail feathers

Started by claire130 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 13:47
by Sooz
xx
Missing neck feathers.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 22:23
by mumsy
xx
Chickens missing feathers..

Started by chloe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 17:45
by chloe

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.