i could strangle those mice!!!!!

• 29 Replies

Chrysalis

Re: i could strangle those mice!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 20:00 »
They had a good time over-wintering in our garage.  So many meeces that we couldn't trap them  >:(and have resorted (albeit, reluctantly) to bluebait....Can't risk them eating all the hen food and decimating our new crops.....bird protection is the next thing to sort out.... :(

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 09:18 »
I had rats in my workshop a few years back.
I put "bluebait" down & every day it would go. Eventually the bait was left untouched.

I moved to a bigger workshop & when I came to move a sheet of ply that was up against the wall.......there was all the bait.
I don't know if the cat got them all or whether they ate some of the bait & stored the rest.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 15:38 »
I just caught another mouse in the greenhouse  :(

ferreter51

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 07:51 »
We had a family of mice move into my home just before November took me 7 traps and 3 weeks to get rid of them.  :( :(

I had the same thing a few years ago.  One cat did the job in a couple of days.  The cat is long since gone and hunting mice in the afterlife, but I've just bought another who looks promising.

1jim

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 14:12 »
we have just come across a family of field mice in our compost heap, seen at least 3 and have noticed lots of little burrows in the compost. They look quite cute and I am loath to move them on...but am I asking for trouble by leaving them be? Are they likly to start having a go at my plot---or can I keep theam appeased by just adding to the compost heap :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 14:33 »
I quite like mice in the compost bin as they make a wonderful job of aerating it. If left they will do a good job of making it resemble a swiss cheese in no time. The compost seems to cook quicker with them on board. Like you say though they could migrate to your plants but you could let them do the magic on your compost and then evict them. If you give the  compost a really good watering from the top they will leave as they don't like a wet bed  :D 

1jim

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 15:05 »
thanks for that....the children love going up to allotment to see if they can see them, and I must admit I have been trying to hold off using the compost as I really dont want them to go :(

On the upside we have 3 compost bins side by side (pallets) so am hoping that they will just move next door when I start messing with their home

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 20:35 »
The mice currently in my greenhouse  :mad: are managing to nick the bait without springing the trap  :mad:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 20:37 »
Two words. Peanut butter.  :closedeyes:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 20:40 »
I've pressed the WW choc raisin bar really firmly into the trap this time.  I feel a heel but I daren't put plants in there until I've got rid of the mice.  All my plantlets and seedlings are crammed into my small greenhouse at the moment

I shall try some peanut butter. Smooth or chunky?  :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 20:43 »
I don't think it matters... :D Until we're sure the little darlings are not going into our polytunnel any more we have trays of seedlings perched in all sorts of infeasible places in the house.  >:(

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 20:45 »
It's soul-destroying to find trays of seedlings eaten to stumps. I once lost all my brassicas to mice which I had propped up in the shed window

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 20:48 »
Being surrounded by fields, we've always had them around, but this is the first time in 7 years they've been causing damage to food crops ( and my sunflowers.... :D). With this change and the amount of moss everywhere, I wonder if the second cold winter in a row has brought all this on...  :unsure:

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 20:54 »
We have loads of moss. I've set the chickens on to it. They make a fine job of scratching it up  :D

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 18:20 »
I thought I had mouse problems as well. As soon as my peas started to show their noses above ground they were being uprooted and eaten. Untill today as I opened the gate to my allotment ther were the culprits in the middle of my pea patch PHEASENTS  :mad: :mad:

Any one got a spare 12 bore???

The peas are now covered with scaffold netting :tongue2:

Malcolm
The worm that turned

xx
Is it Mice?

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 11:34
by diggerjoe
xx
@!*?&%! mice

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 15:26
by vegmandan
xx
MICE !!!

Started by Sparkie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 11:48
by dereklane
xx
Mice

Started by ang on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2006, 11:51
by ang

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.