Apricot

• 4 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Apricot
« on: March 27, 2011, 22:59 »
I have an apricot which was moved earlier this year.

I cut the leader back last year and it  sprouted new small side branches lower down the main stem

This year it is flowering on those small side branches, I`d say about 30 flowers, but none on any other branches

I thought that there wasnt enough insects around to polinate them so tried to do the job by hand....well with a smal fine brush. The problem is, quite a few of the flowers just dropped off when I touched them. I really hardly touched them...honest. It was like they would have blown off in a slight breeze. Its my first apricot tree and I would like to know if this is normal. I`ve been waiting patiently for fruit from this tree, and I`m watching the weather like a hawk for any signs of frost, to cover it up.

Could it be something to do with being moved earlier in the year. Because i did take a very large rootball with it, and it was in the dormant season.

Thanks for any help

Trillium

Re: Apricot
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16 »
You don't say how old this tree is, which is helpful to know. Has it born fruit before?

Regardless, the stress of the move doesn't help. The big root ball was an excellent idea but you still lose masses of fine feeder roots in any move. As long as your tree is leafing, I'd leave it for this year regarding fruiting as it's just too much to expect. Keep watering and feeding with compost and some manure but nothing with high nitrogen as this will stress the tree even more. By next year it will have settled in with more feeder roots and likely produce crop.

Then you need to consider variety as not all apricots are self pollinating and hopefully you know what you have. This bit is from Colorado State Univ Extension and I know many varieties are available in the UK:

Peach, Nectarine and Apricot
The common varieties of nectarines and most peaches grown in Colorado are self-fruitful. Self-unfruitful varieties of peaches are J.H. Hale, Earlihale, Hal-Berta, Candoka and Mikado (June Elberta). Most other varieties of peaches will pollinate these self-unfruitful varieties. However, Elberta is not a good pollinizer for J.H. Hale. Self-fruitful varieties of apricots are Tilton, Wenatchee, Royal and Moorpark. These will set commercial Crops without cross-pollination. Self-unfruitful varieties of apricots are Riland, Perfection and Rival. Any self-unfruitful varieties can be pollinized by any other variety.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07 »
I have an Apricot tree and some of the flowers do fall easily - mine has masses of flowers this year but not expecting much as the frost usually gets the flowers or not enough insects to pollinate - its a beautiful tree though (as I never trained it)  :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:15 »
Thanks for the replies

The tree was bought last year as a 2 year old bare root. It only had a season of growth before being moved.

The flowers that are let are still looking good, even though the wind is blowing a gale at the moment.

Do I have to protect the fruit from frost as it grows, or is it just the flowers ??

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 20:40 »
Sounds like the flowers might need a bit of protection right now from both gales and frost. By the time fruit start forming, they shouldn't need protection unless you get a lot of wasps.

xx
Which Apricot???

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 16:22
by gillie
xx
apricot tree

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 16:35
by arugula
xx
morpak apricot

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 14:37
by Trillium
xx
Ailing Apricot

Started by Hobnails on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 20:01
by Hobnails

Page created in 0.755 seconds with 36 queries.