A bit despondant

• 23 Replies

Lynne

A bit despondant
« on: August 20, 2007, 15:06 »
I'm sure it's just how I'm feeling today, but I'm working so hard to get my allotment cleared of 7 years of rubbish, pick up broken glass, demolish a vandalised shed (burnt out), dig out nettles and ground elder, prepare three raised beds (2 done one to go), plant stuff (2 done one to go) and stay on top of the new weeds appearing that I feel a bit daunted by it. Especially when I think that I still have about another 10 beds to prepare, composter to build, shed to find etc.

I went to do some work there today and it sort of hit me. I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow and plan to have a good few hours there. :(
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

muntjac

A bit despondant
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 15:11 »
in the words of an old timer ............ dig a bit , drink abit ,dig a bit more ,when ya backs sore remember the pain as you sit down to a meal of all fresh stuff  :) ..... munty 1973
still alive /............

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
A bit despondant
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 15:44 »
This year i took on a new plot and the soil was aweful! Having a more than full time job i also found it very hard work to keep on top of things! However, now i am harvesting so so much stuff, all those worries just disappear! I know there is a lot of work still to be done, but i just do it bit by bit.

My advice, dont let it get on top of you, otherwise it will become a chore and not the fun that its supposed to be. Just keep in mind that freshly popped pod of peas!!! Hmmmm

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
A bit despondant
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 15:49 »
I know how you feel Lynne.  This is the first year I've had my allotment and I have big plans for it.  The only problem is there is a lot of work between me and these plans!  I have put a lot of work in especially at the beginning of the year and it is now paying me back in terms of food.  There are a lot of unworked plots on my site because people don't realise the work that is involved and just give up.  Of course I look for ways to save me work and things like weed proof matting have really made a difference.

Lynne

A bit despondant
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 15:59 »
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure its just a 'today' moment as I love going there and working on it. When I can taste my carrots, pak choi, spinach and spring cabbage (which are all growing) I'm sure it will be worth it.

My onion and shallot sets will arrive soon and I've also ordered all my seeds for next year courtesy T&Ms half price sale. My rabbit defences seem to be working too (galvanised mesh buried into foot deep trenches and three feet high) so I must look at what I've achieved and not focus on how much is yet to be done.

Given myself a pep talk. 8)

Thanks everyone

smithyveg

A bit despondant
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 16:43 »
Try getting hold of some heavy duty black polythene and putting that over the worst weed infested parts of the allotment. If light can't get to the weeds they won't grow.

Leave the polythene there until you're ready to tackle that particular bit. When you lift it you'll find the weeds have either gone or (at worst) are seriously depleted and the soil is easier to dig.

Failing that get a strong weedkiller with glyphosate but be careful which days you choose to spray....you don't want to spray onto your crops on windy days! And you'll probably need to re-spray on more than one occasion.

Do a bit little and often.....don't let the plot become a chore. Once you've got the whole plot dug over it becomes a lot easier to keep on top of things with regular hoeing or hand weeding.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Re: A bit despondant
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 18:34 »
Quote from: "Lynne"
I'm sure it's just how I'm feeling today, but I'm working so hard to get my allotment cleared of 7 years of rubbish, pick up broken glass, demolish a vandalised shed (burnt out), dig out nettles and ground elder, prepare three raised beds (2 done one to go), plant stuff (2 done one to go) and stay on top of the new weeds appearing that I feel a bit daunted by it. Especially when I think that I still have about another 10 beds to prepare, composter to build, shed to find etc.

I went to do some work there today and it sort of hit me. I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow and plan to have a good few hours there. :(

My wife and i know how you feel ours is in a worce stat than that there is twenty years of brambles glass carpet shed and to top it of our secratary is a compleat...........
just do a bit at a time

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

brucesgirl

A bit despondant
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 18:59 »
Hey cheer up!! We only got our plot in May, and have taken on another. The way I do it is to write down a plan, we only go down there a couple of evenings for an hour and one day at the weekend, so each time I have one achievable job to do and then potter for as long as I like once I have finished that one job. Phew what a long sentence!
We are now eating the veg, but we know that the jobs always take longer than we reckon because we have lots of breaks when we just sit and look at what we have done, and not at what we still need to do.
Keep a positive attitude and you will find the work gets done in time - little by little adds up to the whole.
!

WG.

A bit despondant
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 19:03 »
My onion and shallot sets will arrive soon
Really?  Which varieties please?

Poppy Rowan

A bit despondant
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 19:46 »
My hubby used to go at the allotments like a bull in a china shop. Everything had to be done yesterday. He got despondant, especially when we had a spate of robberies.
I decided to help, but in a rather more leisurely way, and little by little have got loads done, and enjoyed it too  :D We now share the lotties, and help each other.

I picked some salad leaves a couple of days ago ... what a thrill!! They were the first things I had ever grown myself and eaten  :D  

Just take it easy, enjoy yourself, and know that the hard work really is worth it in the end.

Poppy x

Contadino

• Experienced Member
A bit despondant
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 20:24 »
Having just spent a week working indoors laying a new floor, I'm gagging to get back outside and working in the sun.  You'll find after a couple of days, you'll be missing the fresh air and the excitement of seeing your work produce results.  What about banging in some quick result seeds (radishes, or lettuces)..?

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
A bit despondant
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 08:38 »
Yes, I've deffinitly got lots of fresh air and exercise this year. I'm quite fair and always use factor 25 sunscreen but have somehow developed a tan that's got people asking me if I'd been abroad.

Lynne

A bit despondant
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 10:10 »
Thanks everyone. I am much better today and will be off to the allotment soon.

We've used glysophate about 3 times now and it does help and I've bought a load of membrane to cover each bed as its cleared. My carrots etc will be ready soon, so I'll be able to enjoy them before long as well as the spinach, spring cabbage and pak choi.

When I can remember again how to use photobucket, I'll post some photos. :roll:

Really? Which varieties please?

The onion sets are Shakespeare, the shallots are Escalote Grise and the garlic is Albigensian Wight. All for autumn planting.

Simon Newman

A bit despondant
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 10:23 »
The onion sets are Shakespeare, the shallots are Escalote Grise and the garlic is Albigensian Wight. All for autumn planting.

I'm growing a Japanese variety called 'Tough ball' for overwintering and harvesting early in the year.

Last year they did well
Simon Newman

http://www.Container-Garden.info - My Container Gardening Blog

My Container Vegetable Gardening Squidoo Page

WG.

A bit despondant
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49 »
The onion sets are Shakespeare, the shallots are Escalote Grise
Thanks Lynne, I haven't seen these shallots around.  I usually plant Senshyu japanese onion sets in Autumn and I have to say results are mixed.  Maybe only 30% survive but those that do, give a good-sized onion

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 37 queries.