To Rotovate?

• 23 Replies

Nige2Plots

Re: To Rotovate?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 08:01 »
I must add that, the root crops that require a fairly fine tilth of soil, I grow in raised beds and not into the ground. The statements on Brassicas needing an firm soil is the rule I follow. Winter dig, rake in the spring and then compact the soil ready for transplanting.
The other reason that I did not state earlier for not rotovating is that I do not wish to spread the small amount of Club Root on one of my plots around the entire area!

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 17:49 »
I dig over my plot in the winter (well thats the plan, it's still only part done) and then rotovate around now - that way it gets rid of nasty weeds, like dandilions and docks, nettles and couchgrass, but the rotovating gives a nice finish and finer texture for sowing seeds

Are you sure it gets rid of them and doesn't chop all the roots into lots of bits each one of which could grow into a new plant?  :blink:  :unsure:

I winter dig and remove all the weeds that are likely to regrow if left whilst digging the others in.

Around about now I rotovate most of the plot so the soil is wonderfully fine for sowing and planting.

I dig out all of the roots that i see as i dig over the groung, then rotovate what i have dug - didn't see any roots whislt doing it this time round but have been caught out as above before. I learnt my lesson well after digging over 100 docks out las summer.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 21:37 »
I rotavate first, when the top has dryed enough run a wacker plate over 6 passes at full vibration then plant out the brassicas,It seems to work O.K for me.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 23:00 »
I can truly say I love Howard!! What a brilliant little machine the Howard 200 is even if there is no reverse gear.

She's been with he family for 43 years and has spent just as many winters out in the cold in a shed or garage under one old canvas cover.

Today... 2 pulls on the starter and off she went like new even with a bit of last years petrol in her tank.
Result = perfectly prepared soil for planting and hours and hours saved.

(I didn't rotovate the brassica section though  ;) )

What a shame they no longer make them.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 11:27 »
I rotavate first, when the top has dryed enough run a wacker plate over 6 passes at full vibration then plant out the brassicas,It seems to work O.K for me.

Not all of us have a rotavator and a whacker plate tucked away in the corner of the shed.

Or the time to make unnecessary work.  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatcat1955

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2011, 11:32 »
I mark out the brassica bed with canes and rotavate around it.

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 11:54 »

Not all of us have a rotavator and a whacker plate tucked away in the corner of the shed.

Or the time to make unnecessary work.  :lol:

You'd love Hoawrd if you met her.  ;)  :lol:

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 12:08 »
There are pros & cons regarding rotovating......

As for me I rotovate because I simply do not have the time ( I work virtually 6 days a week!)

My next door neighbour on the plot (Old Len, who is retired and spends nearly every day there bless his cotton socks, he's a lovely guy tho...) tuts every time he seems my machine pootling about!! hehe
Death OR Cake ???

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 16:07 »
There are pros & cons regarding rotovating......

As for me I rotovate because I simply do not have the time ( I work virtually 6 days a week!)

My next door neighbour on the plot (Old Len, who is retired and spends nearly every day there bless his cotton socks, he's a lovely guy tho...) tuts every time he seems my machine pootling about!! hehe

A peaceful Saturday afternoon was wrecked for some by my Howard and me.  :blush:
But I didn't even notice the gentle purr as we trundled up and down the plot together.

And... Only a virtual six day week! Wow.. lucky thing. Seven days a week is hard going but it's shift work and I might get a whole day off over Easter (if I'm lucky)  ;)

xx
SHOULD I ROTOVATE?

Started by goose on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:04
by goose
xx
Cut or Rotovate

Started by sunshine girl on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 12:49
by Kristen
xx
When to Rotovate

Started by NorthEast Old Newbie on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 22:54
by Growster...
xx
To rotovate or not to rotovate ?

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2017, 18:39
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.541 seconds with 36 queries.