To Rotovate?

• 23 Replies

Nige2Plots

To Rotovate?
« on: March 25, 2011, 19:06 »
A quick question. Do you rotovate only where you are sowing seeds or do you rotovate your entire plot?
 Me, I never rotovate as I sow all my seeds in trays first!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: To Rotovate?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 19:10 »
The OBs rotovated my plot to 'turn all the annual weeds in' for me ;)
They think it's a quick way of weeding while the plot is empty, I suppose.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 20:07 »
I dig over my plot in the winter (well thats the plan, it's still only part done) and then rotovate around now - that way it gets rid of nasty weeds, like dandilions and docks, nettles and couchgrass, but the rotovating gives a nice finish and finer texture for sowing seeds
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

andy135

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 20:25 »
Doesn't rotovating chop up all your worms?

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 21:42 »
it discombobulates them to be sure, as for chop i paid close attention and rarely saw one actually torn asunder.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 22:18 »
I dig over my plot in the winter (well thats the plan, it's still only part done) and then rotovate around now - that way it gets rid of nasty weeds, like dandilions and docks, nettles and couchgrass, but the rotovating gives a nice finish and finer texture for sowing seeds

Are you sure it gets rid of them and doesn't chop all the roots into lots of bits each one of which could grow into a new plant?  :blink:  :unsure:

I winter dig and remove all the weeds that are likely to regrow if left whilst digging the others in.

Around about now I rotovate most of the plot so the soil is wonderfully fine for sowing and planting.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Gandan57

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 23:35 »
I don`t rotavate as I don`t want to give my worms a hard time. But on our allotments  a lot of the plot holders seem to be obsessed by it.
All through late autumn and winter every time I went to the plot somebody seemed to be trying to rotavate even though they wouldn`t be planting anything for weeks.
Even with the dryish weather we`ve had recently, rotavating just brings up the wet soil from underneath, totally unsuitable for sowing seeds in.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 00:14 »
I dig mine as ground becomes vacant and started rotovating yesterday ready to start planting out some brassicas.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 00:40 »
I dig mine as ground becomes vacant and started rotovating yesterday ready to start planting out some brassicas.

Probably a daft question but don't brassicas like very firm / compact soil to sink their roots into?

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 06:34 »
some people are not physically able to dig over a whole plot so rotovating is the best choice, i rotavate, i am also waiting for a knee replacement, but i think i would be using a machine with or without a dodgy knees, as for the worms id rather give them a "hard time" than me lol. i think is personal preference, i would rather spend the hot summer days hoeing the weeds than killing myself in the cold damp winter/spring digging and pulling them up. as i say i think its just personal preference  :)
LISA X X X

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 06:43 »

Probably a daft question but don't brassicas like very firm / compact soil to sink their roots into?

No, not daft, but spot on. Last thing brassicas want is soil rotavated to a fine tilth. I go the opposite way and run a heavy lawn roller over the bit where I plant mine.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ferreter51

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 06:48 »

No, not daft, but spot on. Last thing brassicas want is soil rotavated to a fine tilth. I go the opposite way and run a heavy lawn roller over the bit where I plant mine.

I've been marching my size 12s up and down the brassicas bed for weeks.  Ten minutes every day and it's very firm by now.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 06:59 »
When my Beans come out in the Autumn I spread some muck on the top and that's it. Just plant the Brassicas straight into that come the spring. (Although I might do a bit of Size-12 marching too ...)

wozza

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 07:06 »

I've been marching my size 12s up and down the brassicas bed for weeks.  Ten minutes every day and it's very firm by now.

Best bet then is not to dig the soil at all for Brassica's ?   :ohmy: :D
Stop food waste, pick your own fresh every day

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08 »
Depends on the state of the weeds, but yes, sometimes done that.

xx
When to Rotovate

Started by NorthEast Old Newbie on Grow Your Own

41 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 22:54
by Growster...
xx
To rotovate or not to rotovate ?

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2017, 18:39
by snowdrops
xx
SHOULD I ROTOVATE?

Started by goose on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:04
by goose
xx
Cut or Rotovate

Started by sunshine girl on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 12:49
by Kristen

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 30 queries.