Greenhouse Decision

• 6 Replies

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse Decision
« on: March 25, 2011, 14:47 »
Can anyone help me please?  I have bombarded myself with greenhouse info from the web and am now totally confused.  I only have room for a 6x6 or 6 x 4ft one but do I get glass or plastic, twinwall or single.  I am minded to get plastic as I have dogs that like to romp in the garden but am then afraid it will take off in the next gale!  I have even looked at geodesic domes but the smallest viable size is 3m really and expensive too - I also quite like the idea of constructing my own...saw one made of posts and hoops and corrugated plastic once in a gardening mag...but can I find it now.
I only want it so I can raise my seedlings for the alloment and maybe grow a tomato or too.  I would be interested to hear what you lot have done and whether you found an ideal solution?
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

stompy

Re: Greenhouse Decision
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 15:09 »
In my opinion there is only 2 types to consider.
Aluminium frame glass or aluminium frame twin walled polycarbonate.

The glass type are good because they let plenty of light in and hold the heat a little better once its in, but the obviouse drawback to a glass type is it's fragility.
Although if looked after correctly it is absolutely fine.
As for the dogs (etc) hurtling around, you could fix mesh along the bottom 2 foot of the glass to give protection.

The polycarb types are good because they offer insulation earlier and later in the year but don't let as much light in due to their opaque appearence
They are far safer than the glass type though but their lastability is to be yet to be seen.

The choice is yours, but personally i would always go for the glass type.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 15:29 »
Thanks Stompy - appreciate your thoughts... should be out on the plot now but stuck in the office all day having to earn money instead of growing food!

stompy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 15:33 »
Ditto  :(

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 17:17 »
I agree with stompy, glass for sure without a doubt. Aluminum is easy to clean and practical.
Having said that, I do prefer the look of wood. :blush:

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 17:32 »
Wood is good...but all wood rots eventually...love to build my own from wood if I had all the skills

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 14:25 »
I have 2 greenhouse in my garden. One alluminum with pollycarb (bought) and one ceder with glass (given).

The pollycarb is 8x4 and i thought was just right for me starting out. Until it got windy that is! The pollycarb keeps bowing out! >:( It has cost just as much reparing it than it cost in the first place. Blowing a gale today and have lost a panel that was replaced only 2 weeks ago. Gutted. My neighbour has a larger pollycarb greenhouse that they got from B&Q, completely different from mine, and this to keeps losing panels and has done today.

Now the wooden is 8x6 and is swaying a little in the wind but looks solid. It also survived the winter winds too. We broke a pane while bringing it home so had to go buy another. Glass we have found is so much cheaper than pollycarb sheets!

Something else to think about. Not sure if pollycarb is recycleable but glass most certainly is!

xx
come to a decision to sell the wolseley wizard

Started by philskin on Equipment Shed

37 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:27
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
greenhouse

Started by supervegman on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 19:05
by adele
question
what greenhouse help

Started by wozie on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 17:19
by Rangerkris
xx
greenhouse

Started by bigandy on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 09:10
by Plot 6B

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 28 queries.