Comfrey Tea - a handy tip

• 7 Replies

noshed

« on: August 19, 2007, 13:13 »
Don't spread it all over your plot just before you're going to eat your sandwiches.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mushroom

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 13:29 »
:shock:  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 15:01 »
A tip I'll definitely remember forever  :lol:  :lol:

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 18:02 »
I agree. I invited a friend to show off my plot 2 weeks ago. I'd spread some comfrey tea on a bed the previous day, and it stank worse than a latrine. Next day, it still stank. Bless her, she was there wondering if she'd walked on poop, and was checking the soles of her shoes  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ! I had to confess it was my comfrey manure that stank so bad. Hence, no sadwiches after spreading it on the plot, lol!

Another tip I learnt. I made 2 covered container fulls, but had a few leaves left, so I just added water to them and left in my black trug. BAD IDEA! The trug was infested with all sorts, and still stinks today - even afrer being washed and used and washed again. Smells of trod on poop  :lol:  :lol: !
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 18:47 »
It seems to seep into your clothes as well - you might have to change your t shirt before going to the pub.

Hopalong

Comfrey Tea
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 19:57 »
Why make comfrey tea in the first place? Much better to extract comfrey juice, no smell (well very, very little) and you use it like liquinure or any other liquid fertilizer  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
 I make mine in an empty chicken pellet drum, bore a hole in the bottom, stand it on bricks and place an empty milk container underneath, apply pressure on top of the comfrey (I use a couple of housebricks) place a plastic bag over the drum to keep out the rain and just wait. It does take a little while to start dripping through and I place a length of cane down through the hole and into the milk bottle to guide the juice down.
I top up the comfrey leave as convenient and start a new brew about three times a season - and you can eat your butties after using it.
Strength, the colour of weak tea, good on anything that grows.  :roll:
Hopalong

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: Comfrey Tea
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 21:57 »
Quote from: "Hopalong"
Why make comfrey tea in the first place? Much better to extract comfrey juice, no smell (well very, very little) and you use it like liquinure or any other liquid fertilizer  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
 I make mine in an empty chicken pellet drum, bore a hole in the bottom, stand it on bricks and place an empty milk container underneath, apply pressure on top of the comfrey (I use a couple of housebricks) place a plastic bag over the drum to keep out the rain and just wait. It does take a little while to start dripping through and I place a length of cane down through the hole and into the milk bottle to guide the juice down.
I top up the comfrey leave as convenient and start a new brew about three times a season - and you can eat your butties after using it.
Strength, the colour of weak tea, good on anything that grows.  :roll:

:idea: Hi - I'm doing something like you but in a 6 inch pipe as described by Shaun. But after about 6 weeks there is no juice. How long do I have to wait :?:   :idea: Perhaps I need more leaves in and more pressure  - which I apply with a concrete piston thing on a rope ........
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Hopalong

Re: Comfrey Tea
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 23:04 »
Hi JT,

I'm not sure what your problem is. My press starts dripping at about three weeks but don't hurry it  :roll: Perhaps you could try adding more comfrey, I always top my tub right up to the top, and even adding more weight to extract the juice. And then just be patient, it'll come. :lol:

xx
handy asparagus hints and tips please

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 22:20
by gobs
xx
Henrys Handy Hints Number Whatever and 1

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 25, 2007, 14:04
by muntjac
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 4

28 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 21:20
by Fat Hen
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 8 Carrot Fly.

15 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 20:26
by WG.

Page created in 0.623 seconds with 28 queries.