Runner beans

• 3 Replies

Kirky

Runner beans
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:13 »
Hello - this is my first visit so be gentle with me if I sound ignorant (I am!!) I am new to gardening and recently decided to grow a few vegetables in tubs.

I have been growing some runner beans but have noticed that something has eaten the little beans as they have started to grow. I know that it isn't slugs or snails as I haven't got any holes in the leaves or snail trail!! Could it be birds or squirrels? My money is on the squirrels. Any thoughts or advice?

Many thanks.

Kirky

Runner beans
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 15:43 »
Just reading through some older comments made in earlier forum conversations - could it really be snails that are causing my problems?? Nothing is attacking the leaves - just the young beans. There appear to be no sign of the little critters....

HELP - I don't want to throw the trowel in before I've even started!!

Novice

• Experienced Member
Runner beans
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 19:13 »
..........could be thrips ??
Not sure what you do with them though ( see my username !! ) sorry

Oliver

Runner Beans
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 23:05 »
This has been a very bad year for runner beans - as Heather S said, over a certain tempeature and beans just won't 'set', the flowers just drop off.
But other factors could also be at work - low bee numbers. If flowers are not pollinated they also drop off.

If flowers have been pollinated and if the flowers have set, the snails can still gobble them up. You will not see them but you may see their slime trails. They are active at night, particularly after rain.

But if there has not been rain for some time snails are probably not your problem (see above) , even if you are watering as most snails will be sealed up in their shells waiting for a good moist spell.

Fat lot of help, I know, but this gardening lark is all about keeping one jump ahead of all the things that conspire to make your life difficult! O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans and French beans ?

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 10:56
by lettice

Page created in 1.077 seconds with 36 queries.