I always get the Psychotic ones

• 29 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:12 »
Yes I have done it again.  Bought 2 hens with a chick as a lot at the auction.  The hens both seem to mother this chick and its wierd but I have never seen such stroppy buffys.  I think the chick will have to go which is a shame as its a nice Blue Lace which I wanted.

How long if seperated before they forget it and get on with being "normal"  :?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:59 »
dont worry if they are mothering the chick .it shows they will probably make good mothers .if they are squabbling dont worry iether unless it gets blooming
still alive /............

slowef

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 17:09 »
Think it will be ok now they are settling in.

I have put them in an outbuilding I use for the Polish which is garage size so plenty of room, I have partitioned of half for night time for them.

They never seem to have been outside and go to the door and look but very reluctant to pass the threshold.  All day everytime I passed the door I called and clucked at them (prob think I am a right dopey mare) and give little treats of a succulent nature, a few mealworms, a slice of melon etc, only a little don't want to upset their little tummys!!

In the course of one day they are coming to my voice so think they will do nicely.  I will try them in the main house in a day or so when they are at home here.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 22:55 »
sounds like they doing ok :wink:

slowef

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:27 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
sounds like they doing ok :wink:

Everything seems to be new to them and they don't even seem to know what grass is :(  I gave them a sweetcorn today which went down a treat and got an old litter tray (clean of course) and filled it with sand so I hope that is a success they could do with a bath!

They seem to be a bit thin of feathers and compared to my other Buffy scruffy,  could it be a moult? guy who sold them suggested it, but sellers say all sorts of things.  He said they had been in a barn with lots of other chickens so maybe good food and fresh air will improve their health and looks in a short time.  The chick is an ugly little thing so lets hope it improves in a few weeks when its feathered up :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:10 »
They look like lovely birds slowf.  A bit of TLC and they'll turn good !

Poor little chick, remember what happened to the ugly duckling  :wink:

slowef

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:19 »
Well despite my efforts with a sand tray they made their own in the mud  :( Not sure if its helped in the clean stakes but they are enjoying it!!
Yes the chick is at that ugle stage they go through. Hope its a hen but if its a cock bird I might keep it.

I have some more Blue Laced under the broody so will see what comes of those before deciding.  Also my Puffy Buffy is on 6 Buff Orpingtons so could have quite a little family.  Hatch day is around the 4th September so 15 days and counting, I know the saying don't count your chickens but hope some hatch ok.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:23 »
Lovely to have the space (and neighbours) to allow you to keep a cockerel  slowef :!:

slowef

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:39 »
I am lucky with no neighbours to worry about we have a railway line and  a field of cows who haven't yet complained  :lol: The plus side of living on the outskirts of a village.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:20 »
not sure if its the pic or not but the buff on the left looks to have some scales up on its leg  putting some vasalene on its feet up to the feather line will sort it

slowef

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:34 »
Yes I agree Munty I was sitting with them this morning trying to get a good look.  I don't want to stress them for a day or so but will be picking them up for a better look before they go anywhere near the others.

If its Scaly Leg what do I use before the vaseline or is that enough to smother the little blighters?

Looking after the chick they get a bit stressed when I go too close but think with the pampering regime they will be ok soon.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:41 »
Have a look at the sticky slowef http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

Some keepers dip their legs in surgical spirit before the Vaseline coating.  But I don't think it's really necessary.  It is important, however, not to pull the raised scales off.  They will be shed and replaced during the next moult.

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 12:48 »
i use the vasaline as it smothers em is all .they choke on it  :twisted:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:50 »
:shock:  None of us would like out nostrils bunged up with Vaseline  :lol:

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 12:52 »
years ago i used creosote it was brill stuff but since they changed the recipe and banned the old stuff i cant get it

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 37 queries.