WORMING: myths, facts & research please

• 28 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
WORMING: myths, facts & research please
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:36 »
I haven't yet decided on a worming regime for my pullets.  They range in age from 15 to 20 weeks and are all heavy breeds, so some way off laying yet.  I've read a lot on this forum and all sorts of other sources, but I'm still undecided about a worming plan. 

Wherever possible I prefer to avoid medicating my chickens, because I prefer not to eat medicated eggs.  But at the same time their health and welfare is key so I will always give them medication if I'm convinced it is necessary.

I would be very interested to hear why people use certain systems for controlling worms. I would be particularly interested in hearing from people who have tried more than one system and can compare results.

Are there any studies you can refer me to?  All the better if they were not conducted by pharmaceutical suppliers who are keen to sell their products! 

Thanks.  :)

P.S. Not being in the UK some of your brand names won't be available here so I may need to cross-reference the active ingredients.  I'll see how I go.

Casey76

Re: WORMING: myths, facts & research please
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54 »
Evening! :)

Fact: To kill worms and eliminate them from the system you need a chemical wormer.

Myth: Herbal "wormers" will actively reduce/kill an exisiting worm burden

Unsubstantiated: Herbal "wormers" used prophylactically will help prevent worm infestations

The idea behind the herbal wormers is that they alter the chemistry of the intestinal tract making it "uncomfortable" for the worms to live there; or for any ingested eggs to hatch.  I've never been able to find any scientific papers published by, e.g. Verm-X to verify in a clinical setting the efficacy of their products.

In the UK the prefered choice of wormer (on many poultry boards) is Flubenvet (flubendazole)  It is easy to administer in feed and there is no egg withdrawal period.

In France we have Capizol (levomisol) which is given in water once only (5ml per 5L), but there is a 30 day egg withdrawal period.

Ivermectin can also be used as a poultry wormer at the discretion of a vet (in the UK).

My recommendation is that if you choose to use a herbal wormer once a month (as directed), then at least once a year you use a chemical wormer, just to make sure.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12 »
Found this site which supplies avian wormers to Australia - not sure about the ingredients so you would need to check out yourself:-

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/items.asp?Cc=Birdworm&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Also another wormer which can be used for birds under the supervision of a vet is panacur - see here:-

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6911
Staffies are softer than you think.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 13:11 »
I was full of the idea of being natural but found it just didn't work and the chickens were suffering. And in my view thats not the way to go

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 15:51 »
After just visiting the Verm-X site, I'll be using Flubenvet....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 18:18 »
Worming ...... is it twice a year spring and fall with flubenvet ??

Thanks chaps

if wishes were changes.......

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 18:22 »
I do my girls 4 times a year as they free range and come into a lot of contact with wild birds  :)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 18:52 »
personally i have never wormed my girls . They get garlic water daily and so far ive had no ill effects . I personally try and do everything as close to nature as possible without introducing chemicals and so far has done no harm but its a case of horses for courses and theres no right or wrong answer

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 19:29 »
That's interesting Craig.  How long have you had your hens ?

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 19:34 »
not too long . just under 20 months . i originally set out to use all the chemicals and such but decided against it . rest assured though the first sign of any ill effects in my girls i will change my methods

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 17:25 »
I give my girls a garlic clove chopped up in their porridge once a week and a clove and ACV in their drinking water, so hopefully with the help of nature I can get away with twice a year, they have free range time in the garden run but mostly are on a bedding of hemcore.

Fingers crossed almost a year down the line of a chicken fan I have had no problems

Broody  :D

RichardA

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 17:38 »
excuse my ignorance but if ducks and chucks run together is the worm problem likely to be worse ?? Currently we don't worm our ducks and we are thinking of getting chucks unless it adds considerably to effort required to keep all in good order.
R

Robster

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:06 »
I have only used VermX (2 years monthly) they seem all to lay well. They live in a small free range area (18m2 for 5 hens) I am not sure of the signs of infestation I should be looking out for.  Can anyone help?

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09 »
All these comments refer to chooks under 2 years old. Worm damage builds up gradually and is often irreversible, so by the time they may be feeling any affects the damage is done! :( :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57 »
I love learning from my own mistakes (otherwise known as not listening to advice) but when the health of my hens is concerned the peeps on this site know best. listen to them and use a chemical worker 2-3 times a year you will notice from reading posts that newbies like myself try nonsense like verm x herbal tree hugging hippy stuff and more experienced keepers use flubenvet or similar.
I don't know if you can get it in newzeland though
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

xx
Hen House Ordered After Research

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 13, 2012, 22:05
by Blobbs
xx
i need to know some of the facts of life please

Started by cherrypie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 12:09
by WG.
xx
Bodger's Calendars in aid of Leukaemia Research

Started by DD. on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 17, 2008, 10:54
by DD.
xx
corn fed chucks what are the facts?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 18:14
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 38 queries.