Sowing depths ?

• 17 Replies

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
Sowing depths ?
« on: March 22, 2011, 22:58 »
I've often asked myself when reading articles about growing potatoes and the author tells us to plant them 6" deep, do they mean make a trench 6" deep and put the potatoes in it, or should the potatoes have 6" of soil over them?
I'm putting myself at your mercy so  I know if i've been doing it wrong for the last 20 years.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sowing depths ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 23:08 »
I've always understood planting depths to mean the depth of soil on top of the seed/bulb/whatever.

But hey, what's a few inches between friends (please don't answer that!)  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:30 »
I've never really measured mine, but 6" of soil on top of the spud seems a bit deeper than I go.

I've had a look up at a few recommendations, one site says a trench 3"-5" deep, another 4", yet another 5" and John, being awkward, 100mm. I think that's about 4".  :tongue2:

So, it seems that "deep" refers to the bottom of the spud and 6" is still on the deep side, but as JayG implies, I don't think a bit deeper will hurt. (Don't answer that either!).

As long as we're not talking about a few feet down, I'm sure the spud will find its way out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ferreter51

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:07 »
I always understood that it should be 6" deep, but with a slight mound of soil on top of the row, which puts and extra inch or so  over the spuds themselves.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13 »
I always understood that it should be 6" deep, but with a slight mound of soil on top of the row, which puts and extra inch or so  over the spuds themselves.

That doesn't answer the original question. The poster is asking is that 6" trench, or 6" soil on top of the spud.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44 »
Surely since seed potatoes vary in size the depth referred to as a planting guide must be the depth of the trench itself, otherwise you would have to make an undulating trench or different instructions would need to be put on different packs.

As with sowing date instructions these are only a guide.

I plant ours at a depth no less than 4inches and no greater than 6, we dont make a precise science of measuring the trenches.
The important bit is earthing up as required once shoots appear so that new growth potatoes do not break the surface and get hit by sunlight.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:03 »
this year i have done a trench 5" deep am going to then use a spud planting tool and plant the spud about 4" deep into the trench when they begin to show i will gradually fill the trench in as in earthing up till trench is flush with surface and keep on doing this till i get the conventional mound of earth :)...........its a plan :)

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36 »
Then you have the additional problem with oblong potatoes. Do you lay them flat or plant them upright?

I think I may have to dig mine up and replant them. :D :D :D
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:41 »

If you make a trench the earth is drawn out either side which makes the trench appear deeper. If you think about it, the bottom of a 6 inch trench will only be 3 inches below the original ground level. When the trenches are levelled the potatoes will be 3 inches deep.

bigben

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:28 »
Well there seems to be anything from 4 to 6 inches suggested. Given that you then tend to earth up and bury the spuds when they they pop up perhaps it is better to err on the shallow depth and just earth up earlier?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43 »
I dig a trench about 4 inches deep and pile the earth up either side, then make  holes in the bottom of that to plant my spuds, then just fill in the holes.

Then as the plants begin to show through I have the earth which was dug from the trench to use for earthing up. Simples

archibtbm

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:58 »
I use a bulb planter for my spuds, no need to dig trenches or measure depth as the bulb planter is about 4 inches in size...  ;) so the seed potaotes have 4" of soil on top of them

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36 »
Ermm, if you take out four inches of soil and put a potato in,  
it has four inches of soil on top of it less the height of the potato.

It has four inches from the bottom of the potato.

Could be a market for flat potatoes. I saw packs of Golden Wonder seed potatoes and my hopes were raised then dashed.   :)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:39 by Ma and Pa Snip »

bigben

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:37 »
I do the same MOS. Will be planting my main crop in a week or so. Last year I just dug a trough for some and ran out of earth to earth up with. The ones I had used a bulb planter for as well as doing a trough were ok.

stompy

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:56 »
I usually run the rotavator over the bed an then drop the spuds in the trough left by the anti-runaway bar at the back.
Then rake over level, once the shoots start to apear i begin earthing up until the risk of frost has gone, usually the end of May.
By that time the ridge above the potatoe is around 8"/12" high giving plenty of earth above the seed spud.

xx
sensible sowing

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 23:12
by mashauk
xx
Sowing outside

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 09:15
by Nikkithefoot
xx
What are you sowing now?

Started by RosieMay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 12:37
by Sid
xx
Sowing now?

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 09:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 39 queries.