got some eating potatoes that have shoots - can I plant them?

• 8 Replies

grendel

I just found some potatoes in the kitchen that are way past their best, but they have pretty good sprouts coming  on them, can they be planted - they arent supermarket ones, they have come from our veg box.
will they be any good for planting?
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
I just found some potatoes in the kitchen that are way past their best, but they have pretty good sprouts coming  on them, can they be planted - they arent supermarket ones, they have come from our veg box.
will they be any good for planting?
Grendel

They will certainly grow, the problem is whether they are already carrying an infection which could ruin your crop and also possibly those of neighbouring gardens/plots.

There is just no simple way of knowing, which is why certified seed potatoes sell so well (it's hard to think of any other single crop which suffers from so many different pests and diseasesl)!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 21:40 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

drmoonshine

• Experienced Member
i take it the shoots off them are the white kind and not the proper green chitted ones?

sure there will grow anyway but as said before your best off putting your hand in your pocket paying 3.50 and buying some new ones of top quality

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Yes they will but why take the chance when seed potatos are so cheap

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Again JG has the correct info, they could carry disease however if you have an old compost bag you could put them in there, cover with compost and grow them on in your back yard away from your main crop.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

grendel

I might just give that a try, thanks for the information and advice everyone, thats the trouble with being new to the game, not knowing the fall downs.
Grendel

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Sorry, but I don't see the point of taking a potentially inferior "seed" and growing it. You will have to provide it with compost, lovingly look after it, provid fertilizer, space, water and, if in the ground, weed it ...

... much better to buy some decent quality seed and lavish your time, and money, and compost, fertilizer, water, effort, on that.

Ma and Pa Snip

I can see your point kristen, and to some extent agree with you, but there is sometimes those things called Intrigue and Challenge.

Our gardening ancestors experimented, took risks, had failures and successes.
Its not always about doing it by the book, or how much it costs, or the time and effort that is involved.

I agree totally with those who have said there is a disease risk, but for the sheer hell of it I don't see a problem with having a go at growing a spud or two in a separate container as long as the soil used is not mixed back in within compost or ground likely to be used for potatoes in the next couple or years.

You wanna do it grendel you go for it, with due care, good luck.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 20:49 by Ma and Pa Snip »
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Me: I prefer to learn from other peoples' mistakes, not my own !!

xx
White shoots on my potatoes

Started by Growing4mykids on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 09:44
by fatcat1955
xx
can i use seed potatoes with white shoots??

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 11:27
by mumofstig
xx
seed potatoes already have white shoots

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2009, 20:56
by RichardC
xx
What's eating my potatoes?

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 20:42
by zestymordant

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 29 queries.