Overseeding a lawn

• 6 Replies

eazilyled

Overseeding a lawn
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:40 »
I laid some lawn last Autumn using turf rolls from Rolawn.

It took well before Winter and is generally OK now apart from some bare patches by a retaining wall which I think may have been caused by an accumulation of dead leaves.

Should I 'overseed' the lawn to deal with these bare patches?

The Rolawn site gives instructions for this here
http://www.rolawndirect.co.uk/aftercare-overseeding.html

but the procedure seems fairly involved and I was wondering if it is all necessary as my neighbour thought that it just needed a rake and some seed.

On a side note, I had to clear up several piles of cat poo from the grass. I then applied a product called 'Get Off' to prevent any further fouling, but I'm not overkeen on using something chemical based like this as the lawn will be used by my toddler son to play on. Has anyone had success with this product and can anyone suggest other ways of preventing cats from using the lawn as a litter tray?

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: Overseeding a lawn
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:17 »
For the bare patches in the grass I would get some seed, mix it with a bit of soil/sand mix and spread it over the bare patches.

As for keeping the cats away, if they keep the grass really short they probably won't come back as they don't generally like short grass.

You could try planting some Coleus Canina, also known as the scaredy cat plant around the edges of your garden as this is supposed to keep cats away, they also don't like pepper, you can buy pepper dust to deter cats as well.

Apart from that I don't know what you can do apart from get a dog.

Steve

eazilyled

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 14:06 »
Ok great I will give that a try thanks!

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 14:16 »
Wow. I was just coming along to ask a question about how to treat bare  patches on my lawn and I found this thread.  I also laid Rolawn turf last spring. Thanks for asking the question for me eazilyled!.  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 15:01 »
I'm very surprised that cats have poo-ed on your lawn as normally they bury it in the soil, preferably newly-dug. I have had cats for years and never had this problem. If it is cats and you know whose they are, I would suggest getting the contents of their litter tray (pooooo...!! :tongue2:) and empty it where it's ok for them to go, i.e. a small unused soil area, then tell your toddler it's a private area and not to go there. If you rake and re-seed, put some canes around the area with some cheap clematis netting over it about 6" high so it won't be disturbed by people or animals.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

eazilyled

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 15:12 »
Yes I'm also a bit surprised by the poo as the cats my parents owned always covered up. I suppose it might not be cats, but it does look like it and there's loads of them about.

Christo, you're welcome :D I guess lots of people are now finding patches after the winter...

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 20:40 »
Next door's cat regularly poos on our front lawn (we caught it....twice!) Always in the same place. OH clears it up, but unfortunately he has a weak stomach so has to make sure no-one is around as he retches and throws up! i tell him I'll shift it but he insists!

There is nowhere in my gardens that is ok for them to poo!!!!!!!!!! I will continue to try to scare it off when I see it, the dogs do it for me at the back.

xx
My Lawn

Started by digital_biscuit on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 12:21
by arugula
xx
New Lawn

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:41
by clarkey95
xx
new lawn help please

Started by grinling on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 16:34
by grinling
xx
lawn help

Started by juliec on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 09:31
by juliec

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 37 queries.