novice chicken keeper questions

• 9 Replies

magicfairy

novice chicken keeper questions
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:35 »
Hi, We have finally got our chooks.  On Saturday we got 5 orphingtons: 3 buff, 1 lavender and one black. They are 18 weeks old.  They are currently in their run and we will be letting them loose in the garden tomorrow.

They seem fine, a bit perplexed at going from being free range to being in a run, but I think they are ok, except the black one, she does seem like she is the at the bottom of the pecking order, but she is also sleeping in the nest box and pooing in there, is this normal?  All the others are huddled together in the corner of the house.

Also I am feeding them layers pellets in the morning and mixed corn at teatime, with a few scraps here and there (although there is never much leftovers in our house!), do I need to have grit in there too?

And finally, last question, The run floor is earth with wood chip on it, which they seem to be liking, do I need to put a dust tray in there?  They will be semi free range once they have settled in - out in the garden when we are home (which is about 4 days out of 7).

Thankyou from a chicken keeping novice and her very excited chicken keeping children!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: novice chicken keeper questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24 »
They should have layers available all day (not needed overnight) not just in the morning. Chickens are grazers and will eat on and off all day.
How big is their run? 5 hens will require a minimum of 5 square metres and as your girls will be in their run for 3 days they could do with more. Grit is used to help them grind their feed so they need a pot of that and a pot of oyster shell.
If there is a covered section of the run a dust bath would be nice - use something like a small dog bed (lots come up on freecycle/freegle - maybe a bit chewed but your hens wont mind) and fill with soil or sand  :)
Don't forget they like greens and dark leafy veg helps with the absorbtion of calcium.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:30 »
Congratulations on your new pullets!  Orpingtons are lovely birds.

Regarding the black pullet, if she is sleeping in the nest box, this is a bad habit and should be broken asap.  At dusk, or just after nightfall when they are sleepy, you can left the pullet out of the nest box and gently place her on the perch.  You can completely block off the nest boxes for now as your orps wont be ready to lay for quite a while (probably not until they are 30 - 36 weeks old).

Pellets should be available on a continual basis all day, and only feed a palmful of mixed grain (for all 5 - not each!) in the evening.

Both grit and crushed oystershel should be available - separately - on a permanent basis - do not mix it with their food.  they will pick at is as and when they need it.

If the floor is earth and wood chip, and alsong as it stays fairly dry they will make a dust bath for themselves (they will look as if they are trying to dig to Austraila!).

Good luck, and welcome to the very addictive hobby of chickeneering!

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:50 »
Hi Casey,

Just read your reply and may I ask a question relating to the chooks sleeping in the egg laying part of the coop??

My girls will not perch even though I have placed perches in the coop they prefer to sit together in the egg laying part as well as in the perching part!! hope this makes sense, they are a year old now.

Thanks casey

broody
if wishes were changes.......

Teresa2

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 22:10 »
My bantams used to sleep huddled up together in one of the nest boxes.  Once they all started laying they started to perch at night rather than in the nest boxes.  They did this all by themselves! The bonus is clean nest boxes. :)

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 17:54 »
mine have always slept in the nest box .

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17 »
I have two small perches and they seem to get in their way !! they huddle together two in the nestbox area and two either side of the perch, so I dont know whether to take them out or not,

As I let them out very early in the morning I poo pick the whole sleeping and nesting quarters before they have even laid an egg so its always nice and clean for them to lay in.

I wonder if its this that casey might be refering to  in her earlier post

Broody  :)

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41 »
Hi Broody, so sorry I overlooked your question before :)

The main reason why you dont' want hens to sellp in the nesting boxes is to prevent the nest boxes from being fouled overnight.

What kind of hens do you have broody?  Sometimes if the perches are not wide enough, the hens prefer to sleep on the floor.  However, hens are naturally perching animals, so it should be possible to train them to perch, though it might take some peristance.

F1schuey

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54 »
My girls love Dried Meal Worms..... I use these as an incentive to go back into their run when I need to let my Jack Russell out.  Unfortunately my dog would rather eat the chickens than be friends.... but my girls now realise when I shake the bag of treats they run like the clappers to their enclosure.... this is fab for putting them away when I need and also lets them be free range all the other time. Also good for getting them in early if Im going out and worried about Mr Fox.
Home Bargains Shops sell them for £1.49 a bag which lasts a good few weeks.
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 15:29 »
Hi Casey,

Re the perching issue...... I have a bluebelle, light sussex, sussex star and a fenton rose. The perch is about 1.5 inches roughly, a typical small coop style perch.

As for the poo issue in the nest box, I get up at five and poo pick before they lay..... as I dont want their fluffy bloomers getting soiled never mind the eggs !!!

I did think this may be the reason.

I have placed one perch in, two perches and none and they huddle either side of the perches, so I give up  ::) ::)
  :)
Broody

xx
Novice chicken keeper wants to peck your brains

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 22:00
by Belinda
xx
novice chicken questions!!

Started by Samandtwig on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 12:45
by poultrygeist
xx
Newbie chicken keeper - Couple of quick questions

Started by cudders on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 22, 2007, 22:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
SOme questions from complete novice

Started by penance on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 21:52
by WoodyK

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 38 queries.