Slow egg production

• 7 Replies

kittyb

Slow egg production
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:43 »
Hello just wondering if any one has any ideas please.
I have 1yr old chucks that have laid on and off through the winter then for the last a couple of weeks  they were laying an egg each per day even though Rocky the road island red still has tail feathers to come after her moult,This week and last only one of them is laying every couple of days,is this usual :unsure:
Also
Treacle the copperstar is looking as if she has started to moult again,feahres all over the run the last day or so,she appears happy and chatty enough and is eating well.she had a moult before Christmas,do they have mini moults??as this is the only reason i can think she has stopped laying.

many thanks for any ideas

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Slow egg production
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:52 »
are you sure the moulting one isn't going broody? They lose their underneath feathers so they can keep the eggs warm from their body heat.

As for the missing eggs - are they laying elsewhere? Mine often do  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

kittyb

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:01 »
Hello joyful,Nope she is not looking broody,pottering about being nosey and not hanging about nest box.
They only lay in the nest box or in corner of the shed if there is no room in the favoured box.
They are on layers pellets and fresh greens,mixed seed and shell as at the mo they are banned from the garden.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:09 »
If they are having a mini moult (and it's possible... chickens do strange things at times least expected ;) ) then egg production will slow down/stop, as all of the energy goes into making new feathers instead of eggs.

Hopefully eggs will start again soon (Personally I'd prefer it if my birds moulted this time ouf year rather than the dead of winter lol - it'll be a little bit warmer for them at least!)

kittyb

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04 »
hello casey
thanks for the reply,just been up with chucks to check them all over,Treacle is moulting quite a lot today but quite happy-added vermx to water just in case and a bit of tonic,noticed red mites tucked in at end of perches so i will wash the shed out  next weekend -weather permitting enough drying time!
No sigh of parasites on the birds,so its probably just me worrying to much.

I notice you are over in Alsace,lucky you,hows your weather?I think i would much rather be chuck raising in our Brittany garden :)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17 »
red mite don't live on the birds just feed on them overnight. Treat your shed with something like poultry shield and a diatom slurry and the sooner the better - they breed like mad. I am in the process of doing all 8 of my wooden coops (and changing over to plastic this year to alleviate this problem). The chickens will be becoming anaemic through the red mite nicking their blood so this will affect their laying.

kittyb

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:38 »
Thanks Joyfull,i will wash shed out tomorrow methinks instead of the weekend and douse the blighters :)

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:41 »
when you say wash - what will you be using?

xx
Slow production

Started by youngnewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 08:47
by NormandyMary
xx
Egg Production

Started by parson on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 12:18
by parson
smiley
Egg Production

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 12:20
by grinling
xx
egg production down

Started by greenockian on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 16:39
by Prod

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 30 queries.