Took the plunge

• 7 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Took the plunge
« on: March 20, 2011, 14:31 »
OK I was in the local B&M store today and saw they had a tomato greenhouse and a 4 tier greenhouse so decided to buy them bought some tomato seeds and some herbs plus a grow bag would I be ok planting the herb seeds in with the Tomatoes or should I plant them into separate pots and put in the 4 tier?

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:54 by noshed »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

katiekate

Re: Took the plunge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 18:38 »
I'd plant them separately then the herbs can be transplanted to a larger pot or bed if you decide to later. Also some herbs, sage, mint, rosemary, can get quite big and sprawling so may want the extra room.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 18:53 »
When you sow the tomato seeds keep them indoors Bill.  They will need to be kept warm to germinate and grow.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 19:58 »
Something I do is cut the grow bag half way accross and stand it on end folded over - worked well last year and saves floor space. I found it traps a lot more water this way - or you can sink a plastic bottle in to drip feed the plant.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:48 »
When you sow the tomato seeds keep them indoors Bill.  They will need to be kept warm to germinate and grow.

OH dear the wife will be happy NOT!  :D :D :D :D :D Ok that's my next challenge. do the seeds need to be planted now I know it says on the box it's one of those three variety ones btw just wondered if people sow seeds contrary to the box instructions?

I've never used a 4 tier green house so what would you suggest I pot out onto the little shelves there as seeds can the herbs go in there??

Cheers Bill

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 19:59 »
You'll need to tell us what herb seeds you've bought, Bill, before we can have a stab at answering your question!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 20:08 »
Hi Bill

Glad to hear you've took the plunge!

I'd start everything off in a warm windowsill indoors (separate pots), covered in a clear plastic bag to get things germinating.

When they're up, whatever they are, then move the pots out to your new 4 tier arrangement - but bring them in at night and bung them on the kitchen table or wherever just for the next couple of weeks whilst they're tender.

When they have four leaves (tomatoes) then prick them out into their own pots and keep them in the 4 tier on the 'penthouse' until risk of frost has passed  before moving them into growbags / bigger pots / whatever

Good luck!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 21:08 »
I think I understand you Half a plot Man, but to clarify, do you mean you cut the grobag in the middle, just on the top (i.e. the upper plastic on the bag only), then bend each side down on itself like a pair of saddle bags?

If so, that seems pretty nifty to me!

xx
Going to take the plunge...

Started by Mercuria on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2007, 16:38
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.