Housing for new chickens

• 12 Replies

auntielizzie

Housing for new chickens
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:49 »
I have two new chickens who are living in a temporary small house and run which I have on loan.  I am trying to decide whether to buy a larger wooden house with walk in run or whether to go for one of the Eglu Cubes with run which is not walk in but is 2m.

The Cubes are made of plastic and sound very easy to clean and don't harbour red mite.  Also they are movable.  Also have fox-proof wire skirt around bottom.

Only drawback seems to be that they are very expensive.

Does anyone have an opinion on what I should go for?

bantam novice

Re: Housing for new chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 12:25 »
Hello Aunt Lizzie and welcome to the forum and the wacky world of henaholics!  We are all friendly here and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions about coops. 

I personally have a wooden coop but that is because it was donated and I couldn't afford a new one.  I understand that eglu cubes are great for function but not so hot on looks.  They are also not very generous on run sizes.  Wooden coops are more prone to red mite and can be more difficult to keep clean.  However they can look lovely.

You could also type "eglu cube" in the search box in the top right-hand corner and you'll find some information.  In the meantime Good Luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

auntielizzie

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:43 »
Thank you, that was very helpful.  I have done the search as suggested.  I think the Cubes look quite funky - I would like a pink one!  It is so confusing when there are so many options available.  I am leaning towards the Cube at the moment and if I get one I will let you know how I get on.

rachelr

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:45 »
look at the doodle houses they are an english company and they are easy to use.
as good as the eglu at red mite prevention.

auntielizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 13:44 »
Could you tell me where to find doodle houses please.  I can't seem to find them.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 13:53 »

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 15:29 »
I've just checked out the link as I hadn't heard of them either - anyone know where you can get 1/2 a chicken?   :wacko:

Regarding the Eglu cube, I thought they were for a larger number of birds - maybe if you're only planning on keeping 2-3 hens the answer would be an original Eglu. I'm sure Aunt Sally will be more than happy to tell you more about them...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 15:31 »
The only snag with the doodlehouse is that they don't have a run, so you would have to buy or make one (they are cute though). You can buy run extensions for the eglu cube but they work out at quite a bit of money.
I see you only have 2 chickens so the 2 metre run would be fine. I have an eglu classic in blue which came with a run and this was fine for a trio of bantams full time or large fowl that have access to a garden part time.
The omlet cube is expensive (I like the red ones) but they are practical, easy to clean, and will last a very long time just needing water and squirt of washing up liquid every time you clean - no wood preservative, no poultry shield, no diatom etc
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 15:43 »
The plastic idea is fab on every design including " ugly'lu's ". I just find the price on all of them a laugh when plastic is cheap (especially if it's recycled!). Perhaps it's because I can make stuff myself & I feel like manufacturers are taking the p out of a sudden popular thing.

Thankgod I'm handy with the drill & jigsaw.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 16:15 »
but just think w.w. no red mite with plastic - of which I have got in my wooden coops at the moment and it's only March - heaven knows what it will be like in high summer.

Recycling plastic isn't cheap to produce - there are so many different chemical properties in lots of different plastics that these often cannot be mixed together. It then has to be cleaned, dried, granulated (machinery for this is extremely expensive), then graded and  additives added to make it into a specific type of plastic IE - bags, drain pipes, sewer pipes etc all of which are different. Then moulded, blown, pressed etc. Not cheap but helping to save the earths resources (sorry I work in the recycling industry - albeit metal recycling as we make and repair metal reprocessing machinery).

wildwitchy

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 18:40 »
I've never disagreed with plastic being great.  ;) I just cant stand how half of them look. Mind those doodlehouse's I do like, as they have the traditional design! Each to their own thing. Yes, wood is rubbish for red mite. I nearly went demented last year & if it wasn't for some advice from hillfooter I think I would of given up. I was covered in them, the girls was, I just couldn't kill the *. This year I'm getting rid of the wooden coop I built & converting a big plastic storage box for them.  Then I can do what the eglu's do quick wash down with hose & cleaned out.

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 19:06 »
look forward to seeing it - I remember you posting photos of your home made coop when you did them a few years ago  :)

wildwitchy

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 19:21 »
look forward to seeing it - I remember you posting photos of your home made coop when you did them a few years ago  :)

Gosh Joy! Time flys eh!! Blimey had a few birds since then!  :lol:

It will be a shame to dismate it but needs must. I cant have another summer like last year. Hopefully if the funds stretch, I can order the plastic box/shed off ebay this month & start it. I've spent this weekend putting a new coroline roof on the enclosure.

xx
Keeping chickens at a housing association property?

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 18:18
by Deano27
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw
xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg
xx
Housing Bedding

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 22:30
by xhappychickx

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 38 queries.