Biodynamic gardening

• 77 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 13:28 »
...but I can't find any information on frequency for chocolate treatment.  My guess would be daily  :D  :wink:

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 14:44 »
This is a very interesting topic and I personally think there are greater forces at play than simply those that we understand.  The following study showed the existence of a moon effect on fish species.

"Environmental cues such as photoperiod and water temperature are often used by fish as a sign to begin reproduction. However, even after the reproductive cycle has started there are other signs, such as the moon phase that may affect the number of eggs laid by some fish species. The existence of a moon effect has never been investigated in any fish of the sparid family.

In the present study, the effect of moon phase was observed on eggs laid by two Sparus aurata in indoor tanks over a four month period, from January to May, 2003. During this period a peak in eggs laid was observed around the Full Moon."

The reference is...

Saavedra, M. and Pedro  Pousão-Ferreira, P., A preliminary study on the effect of lunar cycles on the spawning behaviour of the gilt-head sea bream, Sparus aurata, Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK (2006), 86: 899-901

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 14:57 »
Here's another study carried out on the effects on lunar cycles on human and animals.

Human and animal physiology are subject to seasonal, lunar, and circadian rhythms. Although the seasonal and circadian rhythms have been fairly well described, little is known about the effects of the lunar cycle on the behavior and physiology of humans and animals. The lunar cycle has an impact on human reproduction, in particular fertility, menstruation, and birth rate. Melatonin levels appear to correlate with the menstrual cycle. Admittance to hospitals and emergency units because of various causes (cardiovascular and acute coronary events, variceal hemorrhage, diarrhea, urinary retention) correlated with moon phases. In addition, other events associated with human behavior, such as traffic accidents, crimes, and suicides, appeared to be influenced by the lunar cycle. Animal studies revealed that the lunar cycle may affect hormonal changes early in phylogenesis (insects). In fish the lunar clock influences reproduction and involves the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis. In birds, the daily variations in melatonin and corticosterone disappear during full-moon days. The lunar cycle also exerts effects on laboratory rats with regard to taste sensitivity and the ultrastructure of pineal gland cells. Cyclic variations related to the moon's phases in the magnitude of the humoral immune response of mice to polivinylpyrrolidone and sheep erythrocytes were also described. It is suggested that melatonin and endogenous steroids may mediate the described cyclic alterations of physiological processes. The release of neurohormones may be triggered by the electromagnetic radiation and/or the gravitational pull of the moon. Although the exact mechanism of the moon's influence on humans and animals awaits further exploration, knowledge of this kind of biorhythm may be helpful in police surveillance, medical practice, and investigations involving laboratory animals.
Zimecki M., 2006, The lunar cycle: effects on human and animal behavior and physiology, Department of Experimental Therapy, The Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Sciences

sweet nasturtium

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 15:35 »
Oh lordy.  Do I have to read this?

You want scientific evidence, you get scientific evidence I suppose.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 15:52 »
No I wouldn't really expect people to read it!  I was just trying to make the point that living things are influenced by lunar cycles therefore the idea of growing plants to these biorhythms may not be as strange an idea as some people may think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 16:46 »
Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland during darkness and inhibited by light.  Nothing to do with the moon.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 16:58 »
I didn't say that the moon causes melatonin to be produced. All I said was that in birds, the daily variations in melatonin and corticosterone disappear during full-moon days and that I had highlighted research where it is suggested that melatonin may mediate the cyclic alterations of physiological processes.  

If peer reviewed scientific research indicates that melatonin and corticosterone variations in birds are linked to lunar cycles then I would have to conclude that perhaps the moon does have something to do with it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 17:46 »
Ah.. See what you mean gregmcalister.  What do you think the implication is in birds.  Might it be something to do with predators hunting by the light of the moon ?

deneview

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2007, 17:46 »
Quote from: "gregmcalister"
I didn't say that the moon causes melatonin to be produced. All I said was that in birds, the daily variations in melatonin and corticosterone disappear during full-moon days and that I had highlighted research where it is suggested that melatonin may mediate the cyclic alterations of physiological processes.  

If peer reviewed scientific research indicates that melatonin and corticosterone variations in birds are linked to lunar cycles then I would have to conclude that perhaps the moon does have something to do with it.

whilst you have not posted the full paper it would seem that the conclusion of the research would be a HYPOTHESIS and not a point of fact. perhaps moon planting is related to our former lunar calender?
lots of strange thing happen in nature- salmon running back to spawning grounds, mass movement of toads for mating, land crabs etc, i would not like to guess what the internal or external stimuli are, and would accept that the moon could be a factor, but im not sure that would apply to plants.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2007, 18:29 »
There may be a number of explanations for the variation in melatonin on a lunar cycle.  The most obvious would be the difference in light levels between full moon and new moon.  The point I want to make is that there are plants and animals out there which follow lunar cycles therefore it may be worth exploring this further in terms of growing vegetables.  I'm not saying this is right or wrong but I am open to the possibility that the moon (and other) sources may have an effect on the way things grow on the earth.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2007, 20:09 »
Point taken.  But I find it curious that no proper trials have ever been carried out giving a positive result.

mkhenry

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2007, 20:59 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Point taken.  But I find it curious that no proper trials have ever been carried out giving a positive result.

For around 1500 years at least religion stopped the active research into any subject that they said was the work of God.You were considered a heritic if you only thought that the earth went around the sun not the other way around because it was believed that the earth was the centre of the universe.God had created all things and mankind could never understand it let alone question any facts whatsoever.

This delayed mans understanding of many great things that we now take for granted.Some great men did research and noted their findings in books of code.Some are only being translated in this century.

Then came the idea that man could turn lead into gold,and this led to many con men you tried to trick the kings and leaders of many countries.
All scientific developement was channeled into trying to do this conjuring trick.This led to many other discoveries but not one managed the desired result.

The point is at first the Druids used mumbo jumbo to control the population giving the times to plant and reap.All excellent advice no doubt but given via ritual and even sacrfice.Then the monks who did the same using more mumbo jumbo and fear.Probably the same advice with a little more fear.Then investigation into any of these methods was banned by the Catholics then the Prodestants then again by the RCs then by the next religion in favour and so on. They said its Gods way and his will he greates everthing etc. etc.If you dared to even ask you could be tortured killed and worse excommunicated.

All of this made real research down right dangerous and impossible.

In modern times such research is very expensive and would only be considered if there was the real chance of a fortune to be earned in the end,just like turning lead into gold.

So a dedicated few gardeners carry on using the well established down to earth practises handed down to them over the years. They are researching and producing good results.Every now and then they lift their heads up and try to tell this modern world but are generally not taken very seriously,even though it seems to work.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2007, 21:29 »
Knowing that this pracise is widely used here in Spain,  I bought a book by Maria Thun who has spend over 40 years researching biodynamics called Results from the biodynamic sowing & planting calender, must admit not got round to reading it yet (heavy going and lack of time!!!) but this thread has prompted me to pick it up.
Happy Gardening

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2007, 23:19 »
I've just watched a very interesting programme about how so many people believe in complimentary medicine.  Homeopathy, angels, iovedic medicine, crystals etc.  

I think the placebo effect can extend to many other parts of peoples lives too.  If someone cares enough about growing their plants to work out when they should garden related to the phases of the moon, they also care enough to care well for their plants and get the best from their land.

It really comes down to doing things in a way which gives you pleasure and satisfaction and the belief that you are doing your best.   Many people believe in things for which there is little or no solid proof like religions.  And life can be all the better for that   :!:

mkhenry

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2007, 23:33 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I've just watched a very interesting programme about how so many people believe in complimentary medicine.  Homeopathy, angels, iovedic medicine, crystals etc.  

I think the placebo effect can extend to many other parts of peoples lives too.  If someone cares enough about growing their plants to work out when they should garden related to the phases of the moon, they also care enough to care well for their plants and get the best from their land.

It really comes down to doing things in a way which gives you pleasure and satisfaction and the belief that you are doing your best.   Many people believe in things for which there is little or no solid proof like religions.  And life can be all the better for that   :!:

So very well said Aunty.You can neither believe or disbelieve everything you read or hear.Some things you take on faith and sometimes your life is a little richer for it. :lol:

xx
Biodynamic planting and sowing

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 20:59
by shaun
xx
No dig gardening

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:09
by CARROTTCRUNCHER
xx
Box gardening

Started by Alec_Macpherson on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 10:57
by Epona_4
xx
My First Day Of Gardening

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:56
by Tykelad

Page created in 0.605 seconds with 36 queries.