mkhenry

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 21:27 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Quote from: "mkhenry"
I need to know WHY it grows and HOW to make it grow better. :D
and if thats now called bio planting so be it :lol:

I like to know why too, does that make me a bio thingy also ? :lol:

Aunty Aunty RR going all bio thingying get the mouth washing soap out quick before it spreads. :(  :(
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 21:34 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
Not everything from the past is good far from it.Its not so long ago that people thought that to bless a house and be sure of prosperity and good crops you had wall up a live cat or even a baby.

Many old cottages have discovered this sort of thing.Some say the baby was dead and they needed to hide the body others that it was part of the ritual.Whatever it was gruesome and dreadful.

So I am glad not all practices are around today. :!:

Too true builder freind of mine took down a internal wall down in a old cottage and found some remains  :shock:  good thing about it was the house spook stopped after that. another time he took out a false wall in an old shop and found 1/2 doz or so Christmas puds  :?  which he insists he ate  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 22:02 »
I'm back ! :D

I've been out all over the world tonight (did you miss me) looking for evidence that moon planting works, but there is very little out there.  My fingers have blisters from tramping about.  I've tried to be fair (Aunty always is) but the only evidence is very wish washy.  I’ve read the moon planting link you posted Henry and many many other sites as well and this is what I have gleaned:

The tides on the earth are mainly caused by the gravitational pull of the moon on the earth.  As the only part of the earth which can easily move is the water a bulge is created on the side nearest the moon.  The sun also exerts a gravitational pull on the earth but a much weaker one, pulling the water towards the sun.  When the sun, earth and moon are in line the combined pull is the greatest creating a spring tide.  When the earth, moon and sun are at right angles the pull is the weakest creating a neap tide.
Spring and Neap Tides

The ground water is also acted upon by these gravitational pulls and rises and falls at the same time but to a lesser extent.  Ocean tides rise and fall by numbers of feet as we can all observe. I can find no information about the rise and fall of ground water but one academic study I found suggests a rise and fall in the 'water table' of about 2-3 cm (not a great movement in proportion to tidal change), but it is not something which many scientists have studied.  
Groundwater

You may draw whatever conclusion you wish from this information.  Moon planting is mainly linked to the amount of available water in the ground which I consider is affected my many greater forces than the pull of the moon, such as temperature, humidity, wind, rainfall and irrigation.  I have not been able to find any scientific trials for moon planting.  The trial carried out on Monty Don’s TV programme was a noted failure.

Other interesting links:
Water: Moon–Earth Relationships

planting by moon phase - fact or fiction

There are many claims (on the Internet) that moon planting works but I can’t find any real evidence !

Aunty still thinks it's shoe makers unless someone can prove otherwise.  :?

mkhenry

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 22:44 »
You cannot dismiss the effect of both the sun and the moon on water.They are the greatest forces far beyond any other in the universe and that is pure proven science.All I am saying is that the same force acts on plants.Both moon and sun.Now that you have disproved gravity how are we going to stick on the planet. I had better get myself strapped in tight tonight :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 22:48 »
I have not discounted gravity Henry.  From the evidence I have found and the other forces at play, I believe the effect of gravity changes due to the moon on ground water is minimal.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 10:50 »
The Spanish old boys swear by it! the strimmers all come out on the same day, broad beans are sown at on certain days, a farmer friend of mine won't have a tooth pulled unless it follows the moon phases!
I could go on and on!

Where I can I'll sow some veggies at certain phases of the moon but you have to be more organised which I am not!

Can't hurt can it  :wink:
Happy Gardening

Babycat

• Experienced Member
calendar
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 11:00 »
Interesting Biscombe - is there an official calendar in Spain, some sort of farmer's almanac that they refer to?

Think I will do my own trial next year in the same beds just for a laugh.

Still trying to find more info on this old bollox but as Aunty said, it is not exactly easy to find - guess your average druid doesn't get Googled very often  :wink:

Speak soon

x Gina
"This too shall pass"  King Solomon

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2007, 11:06 »
Heheheheh!!
Yep the almanac is avalable all over the place!! It's a big thing here in Spain!

I've got last years book but I use this site, easier to follow.

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/

Babycat

• Experienced Member
more info
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 11:10 »
Ta Biscombe - not the only one at home rather than at the lottie in the rain then  :lol:

Will check out the calendar - in the meantime I found some answers on top of the microwave!  I get The Organic Way magazine and there is an article on the subject and a garden recently opened in Ryton, see weblink below:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/gardens/biodynamic.php

http://www.biodynamic.org.uk/

Guess druids do have broadband these days then  :wink:  oops!

Will return later when I have studied the mumbo jumbo further.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 11:15 »
You've got me Babycat, a lazy Sunday morning! too hot outside!!
Thanks for the links  :D

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36 »
Quote from: "Biscombe"
You've got me Babycat, a lazy Sunday morning! too hot outside!!
Thanks for the links  :D

Too hot outside? Wish we could swap. It's too wet and cold outside here  :cry:  :cry: !
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: calendar
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25 »
Quote from: "Babycat"
Still trying to find more info on this old bollox but as Aunty said, it is not exactly easy to find

Wash your keyboard off Babycat.  Aunty would never say that - she said shoe makers  :!:  :wink:

sweet nasturtium

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 23:37 »
This thread is getting more and more interesting.  I'm a great sceptic about this sort of thing and unfortunately have many many friends that believe in all sorts of stuff that I have to politely listen to and try to understand.  This is one of those great topics.

Since being on my allotment I have met many old boys - the spanish and the greek varieties - who insisted on planting on a certain day in May.  It kind of makes sense that observing the natural calendars of the earth would go along with growing stuff.  Having said that, the old boys' tomatoes got blight and mine didn't because I missed their moon deadline.  

It is no co-incidence that our (womens') cycles follow the 28 day cycle of the moon so I think there is something in this moon planting stuff.  Having said that, my PMT cycle doesn't strictly follow the 28 day cycle either, that tends to follow a more arbitrary calendar closely connected with the calendar of chocolate availability.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 10:41 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
It is no co-incidence that our (womens') cycles follow the 28 day cycle of the moon so I think there is something in this moon planting stuff. Having said that, my PMT cycle doesn't strictly follow the 28 day cycle either, that tends to follow a more arbitrary calendar closely connected with the calendar of chocolate availability.

The moon doesn't actually have a 28 day cycle

Quote from: "Wickipedia"
The Moon makes a complete orbit around the Earth every 27.3 days, and the periodic variations in the geometry of the Earth–Moon–Sun system are responsible for the lunar phases that repeat every 29.5 days.

But is a long known fact that chocolate is ESSENTIAL to the female physiology  :wink:  :lol:

sweet nasturtium

Biodynamic gardening
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 13:20 »
OK, 27.3 days.

xx
Biodynamic planting and sowing

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 20:59
by shaun
xx
Is anyone doing any gardening at all?

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 01:03
by Trillium
xx
gardening

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 10:44
by gobs
xx
'No-dig' gardening

Started by Luiska on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 07:55
by Blewit

Page created in 0.581 seconds with 37 queries.