Pea pods

• 10 Replies

Koicarp

Pea pods
« on: March 19, 2011, 15:20 »
Howdie, 
just looking ont net to try find some pea seeds and im confused to which one are actually the type we eat.

So tasty and i dont even know what variety  :D

going to the garden centre so ill pick some up if they have they type...

cheerz

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Pea pods
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 15:24 »
Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

If they sell them in packets at the garden centre - that's the sort you eat!

Like a lot of vegetables, there are hundreds, if not thousands of varieties.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Koicarp

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 15:33 »
Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

If they sell them in packets at the garden centre - that's the sort you eat!

Like a lot of vegetables, there are hundreds, if not thousands of varieties.

neither do i  :D

ok mate sorry lol bit of a daft question i guess

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 15:35 »
I grow Hurst Green Shaft - so sweet. Pick them and eat or freeze...ENJOY..!! :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 15:38 »
Kelvedon Wonder are another good one.

I can show you the photos.  :lol:

Koicarp

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 15:38 »
whilst am here mate..when i was digging out the pond i dug out a load of clay filled soil and dumped it down the garden ...Am just wondering if i can grow anything in this or not whether it be veg or flowers as ive only got a small patch as it is and this seems wasted space

Dont have the patience and space to move it elsewhere

Koicarp

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 15:39 »
Kelvedon Wonder are another good one.

I can show you the photos.  :lol:

ok mate ill have a gander  :tongue2:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 18:07 »
whilst am here mate..when i was digging out the pond i dug out a load of clay filled soil and dumped it down the garden ...Am just wondering if i can grow anything in this or not whether it be veg or flowers as ive only got a small patch as it is and this seems wasted space

The first part of the answer depends on the type of clay soil you dug up.  Is it dark, or a more orangey colour?  The orangey colour is subsoil and there is no point in trying to grow anything in it or improve it.

If dark coloured, it's more likely to be topsoil but clay is quite hard to grow in as it either puddles in rain or goes completely concrete-like when dry.  It needs masses of improvement by addition of organic matter e.g. compost, leaf mould, manure etc over time.  Once improved then it is great to grow in.

So, depending on how solid the clay is, and whether it's subsoil or topsoil, you might well be able to grow in it eventually.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Koicarp

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 18:51 »

The first part of the answer depends on the type of clay soil you dug up.  Is it dark, or a more orangey colour?  The orangey colour is subsoil and there is no point in trying to grow anything in it or improve it.

If dark coloured, it's more likely to be topsoil but clay is quite hard to grow in as it either puddles in rain or goes completely concrete-like when dry.  It needs masses of improvement by addition of organic matter e.g. compost, leaf mould, manure etc over time.  Once improved then it is great to grow in.

So, depending on how solid the clay is, and whether it's subsoil or topsoil, you might well be able to grow in it eventually.

its been there two years now lol so i cant remember what it was like, anyhow i'll not bother with that one :tongue2:

Chrysalis

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 19:41 »
Re.Peas:  Have you tried some mangetout or sugarsnap peas?  You can eat them whole.  You may also like marrowfats for mushy peas. I've gone for kelvedon wonder, too this year, they're just ordinary peas, but we love 'em!

Koicarp

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 18:40 »
Re.Peas:  Have you tried some mangetout or sugarsnap peas?  You can eat them whole.  You may also like marrowfats for mushy peas. I've gone for kelvedon wonder, too this year, they're just ordinary peas, but we love 'em!

i got some of them kelvedon wonders yesterday and some of them hurt green shafts too

xx
pea pods

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 20:02
by chrisjsmith
xx
Pea Pods

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:26
by PennyS
xx
Pods on me peas

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 13:55
by DD.
xx
Peas out of pods

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 16:03
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.783 seconds with 36 queries.