Overwhelmed with info and still don't know what to do

• 13 Replies

Windsong

Hi!

Okay, so my mister and I have recently taken over an allotment (from April 1st).  It's approximately 16.5' wide (north to south) by 33' long (running east to west). We have never done any kind of gardening/vegetable growing, unless you count cutting the grass gardening lol. I have, however, read a ton of information on this website. I still feel somewhat lost though and I would like some advice. I'll start by telling you about where we are, what kind of soil I think we have (we're going to get one of those soil test gauges to get an idea of the pH) and the things we are interested in growing.

We're in SE Wales and I think the soil on the plot is peaty. It feels spongy when we walk on it, looks dry on the surface but is wet upon brushing the surface. It also looks quite dark in colour. There is a downwards slope to the plot so the water will drain from east to west (down the length of the plot). There is a tallish building about 10-15' to the south of our plot and I've had mister pay attention to how much sun the plot gets. It seems that from 12pm-4pm it's partially to fully shaded during this time of year (may be shaded for longer once the days grow longer).

I had a look at the other plots and from what I can tell they're growing onion, garlic, sprouts, rhubarb and beans among other things (which haven't sprouted yet).

There is no greenhouse on the plot as of yet, but we are looking to get one that is 6x6. We do have a conservatory on our house so we were going to start seeds in there at the moment.

We would like to grow french beans (cobra), runner beans, tomatoes (cordon and bush), cucumber, corn, radishes, carrots, parsnip, spring onion (white lisbon), strawberries (in a container), asparagus, sweet peppers, spinach, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, calabrese, garlic and a comfrey patch. We were thinking of doing the asparagus and calabrese next year, and we'll make a deep raised bed for the asparagus.

We're planning on using the munty frame for the beans and butternut squash, growing something underneath the frame. The tomatoes, cucumber and sweet pepper in the greenhouse and a growhouse. We've got a family of six veggie lovers so none of it will go to waste.

Is this too ambitious, or too much for our plot size? Are any of these plants unsuited to the kind of plot we have (e.g. soil and the amount of shade). Should we add any compost/ fertilisers (such as fish, blood & bone) to the soil as we work it ready for planting? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:59 by Windsong »

Windsong

Re: Overwhelmed with info and still don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56 »
Oh we're also planning on growing a maincrop potato (Desiree) but we're going to do that in a container in our garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 13:07 »
So your plot is 11 yards x 5 yards, about a half plot size.

I think it probably is manageable if you don't try to grow too much of any one thin .  Start by grouping them into types of veg which should ideally be kept together and rotated:

Pea family:
french beans (cobra), runner beans,

Brassicas:
brussel sprouts, cauliflower, calabrese,

Root crops:
carrots, parsnip,

Onion family:
spring onion (white lisbon), garlic

Can fit anywhere:
corn, radishes, spinach, butternut squash,

Permanent planting:
comfrey patch, asparagus,

Try to get rows going north -south if possible but it's not vital if you can't.  Try to ensure the beans don't shade other things too much.

I think it's unlikely the building will cast more shade.  If anything, it should cast less as the sun will be higher in the sky.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 13:33 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 13:21 »
You don't sound too lost to me!!  :)

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) Your list of crops you want to grow looks perfectly sensible, although come April it's a bit late for spring-sown garlic to deliver the goods this year.

2) You should find shading by buildings and other obstructions to be less, not more of a problem as the sun gets higher in the sky. Some parts of the plot are bound to get more sun than others, so make sure that the sweetcorn in particular gets the sunniest spot.

3) Your soil does sound as if it could be peaty, in which case (subject to a pH test) it would benefit from a lime dressing which you can still do now, although you're not supposed to lime and manure at the same time.

4) You haven't mentioned whether the plot is currently weed-free; if you have to clear it all of perennial weeds first that is bound to restrict the scale of your ambitions!

Good luck, happy growing, and enjoy the experience!  :)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 15:32 »
My best advice is to just give it a trial go this year and don't try too many things or you will get overwhelmed. Take notes as you go, see what works and what doesn't and enjoy the learning experience. Each year we find that some crops that did well the previous year are a dismal failure this year - that's nature. Get John's book, keep it simple and let us know how you go on. :) ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 15:37 »
look upon this year as a trial of trial and error and just chill deep breaths and a can of stella or wine in the right hand

choose to grow what you like to eat and if  there is something you are not sure off just ask keep a diary of what date you did what and how it will be good to read next year

so enjoy all that mother nature offers cos you will have fun with some hard work thrown in

so good luck

now where did i put that beer  down

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 15:59 »
Have a chat with some of the other allotment holders to see which crops grow well at the site.
A bit of local knowledge could save you from wasting time and effort planting unsuitable crops.
When you have a bit more experience you can attempt the harder to grow ones and put all the 'old hands' to shame. :)

Windsong

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 20:14 »
First, I'd just like to say thanks for sticking it out and reading my epic post. I was worried boredom might set in and no one would reply lol.

I didn't see any weeds when we went to visit the plot. It looks like it had been pretty well tended before winter. There is still some clean up to do, though. There was some broken glass (we assume from a dismantled greenhouse) and a tree stump. The stump looks pretty green still so the tree couldn't have been cut down too long ago. There are some well-established roots, though and I have a feeling those will take considerable effort to dig up (which we're doing to prevent tripping if nothing else).

I'm glad to know that the shade won't become longer lasting.

I read somewhere that parsnip and carrots shouldn't be grown too closely together and I've also done some reading on companion planting. If I've understood it correctly, onions help carrots and vice versa so I was thinking of planting carrots and parnips separated by a few rows of spring onion. Will that be okay?

I also used a vegetable garden planner (from growveg.com) and if that plan is reliable, it looks like we'll have room to grow our maincrop potatoes on the plot as well as sweet potato. Finger crossed it works out so well in reality.

I am trying to be realistic and I don't expect that we'll be producing bumper crops this year (being beginners) but I am really excited about the prospect of being able to grow our own veg, live a somewhat more sustainable life than we are aty present and I'm also excited about getting our children involved in this.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 20:21 »
I put my parsnips and carrots together, I think they are the same basic family if their leaves are anything to go by.  Onions are said to deter the carrot root fly but with very little success to be honest.

Windsong

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 20:34 »
Perhaps I won't bother with the onion then lol.

ferreter51

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 08:02 »
In the garden I had before I moved here, carrot root fly was a problem and spoiled my first crop.  Now I put hoops in, covered with enviromesh and no longer have the problem.  I use raised beds which are 4 ft wide and make the hoops from blue plastic water pipe (look at Screwfix or similar for current prices - I paid  about £15 for 50 metres, but that was a long time ago) anchored by metal rods inserted at each end.  I've had the ones I am using for several years.  They are still going strong and I have at least half the water pipe left.  The enviromesh must also be properly anchored to make sure that nothing gets in underneath it.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 20:03 »
Fruit,fruit fruit....grow gooseberries,red & black currants as well as your rhubarb. Once fed these fruits look after themselves. Why not try a few fruit trees on a dwarfing root stock?
people talk rubbish

Dominic

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 15:34 »
"Have a go" is great advice.

You sound like you know what your doing, even if you dont know you do know, and the stuff you dont know you dont know, well :tongue2:

I would add "Dont buy a greenhouse", at least for now anyway.  You never know, you might get bored and give up.....

I'm with iggy on the soft fruit, blackcurrants, redcurrants, raspberries, gooseberries and the like are all expensive or unavailable in the shops, and actualy some of the easiest stuff to grow.
My Redcurrants grow bucket loads, if only I liked them....
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 16:54 »
Hi Windsong
Yes you can add compost & fertiliser as you get each area ready for planting.

As far as carrots go, I've tried raised beds (2ft), companion planting and the carrot fly still found them. This year its mesh. Having said that I did find that I could get one row of Early Nantes before they found them.

Good Luck   

xx
A bit overwhelmed!

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 20:54
by whistler
xx
I'm feeling a bit lost/ intimidated/ overwhelmed

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:48
by Christine
xx
Useful Info.........

Started by lincspoacher on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 18:30
by peapod
xx
Info on bolting

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 12:09
by chimaera

Page created in 0.746 seconds with 37 queries.